pent Classic 200

Thread: pent Classic 200

Wink pent Classic 200

Hello IBMr's;
    I have an older Compaq Deskpro/5150 that has a 256 L2 cash on the Mother board. It runs a pent 166 now. The hood spec's it will handel a P54C-66/200. Now this has to be a classic with no MMX or cash but can you guys tell me a number or somthing so I don't have to order three to get one? The PAQ is a socket 7 and I'll probably get the processor from computer geeks.
    Thanks.........Chris

Darren Wilson

Good luck as they are no longer made and are in very short supply. Last time I was offered Pentium classic 200's was about 2 years ago and they were then the same price as a brand new PIII 500 was !!!!!! They hold their price very well, and it could not be worth doing.

Best place to get one if you are willing to take a risk is probably on Ebay.

The speed difference between a 166 and a 200 is only about 20%. While that may seem like a lot, you have to remember that the vast majority of a computer's speed (or lack thereof) comes from the RAM, hard drive, chipset, video card, and even modem, depending on what you're doing, and the CPU doesn't have that great an effect. More RAM would probably give you a more noticable speed improvement, especially if you have less than 64M.

I have found those Non-mmx cpu's for $15-$30 at computer fairs, local mom and pop computer stores and on ebay - just look around - you're bound to find one.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Originally posted by Captain Packrat:
    The speed difference between a 166 and a 200 is only about 20%. While that may seem like a lot, you have to remember that the vast majority of a computer's speed (or lack thereof) comes from the RAM, hard drive, chipset, video card, and even modem, depending on what you're doing, and the CPU doesn't have that great an effect. More RAM would probably give you a more noticable speed improvement, especially if you have less than 64M.
    I have to agree with Capt. Packrat. I've worked with these machines in variants from 133MHz to 200MHz and the difference between the 166 and 200 clock speeds in minimal. Install as much RAM as you can. You will probably see a better performance boost from this then a CPU upgrade would give you. RAM is so cheap now days that its almost impossible to pass it up.
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?