[RESOLVED] Can't read CD-R discs

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't read CD-R discs

cr4

Post Can't read CD-R discs

I have a PII system with Win-98 and a 40X CD-ROM Drive (Make not known). Windows has loaded a default CD ROM driver and it is able to read normal CD's. Recently when I tried to read a Recorded CD, it just goes on searching without an end. In DOS Mode, the file is visible but is unable to copy - "error-file not found". Can someone come up with a solution please? - Thanks

------------------
    cr

bcgreen

if you have 2 or 3 copied cd`s and have same
    results you may need to upgrade your cd-rom.
    had same problem while back. good luck.

That's true!
    It's a common problem. It occurs on older CD-ROM units.

The best you can do is to replace it!

Good luck.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." - Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page

[This message has been edited by AlienDyne (edited January 24, 2001).]
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

cr4

Thanks a ton for the response - though not very encouraging. I really couldn't go for a new drive. Did some browsing in the MS knowledge base and FAQ's - and got some clues. I could solve the problem.
    The generic ATAPI drive was being loaded by DOS. I "rem"ed it in the config.sys file and windows did the rest. Now I can see both CD's in the explorer.
    Thanks, and I hope this solves the problem for others - who may face similar problems.

------------------
    cr

Polychronopolis

The fix doesn't seem to match the problem. Originally you said the drive wouldn't read CD-R disks, but the resolution was that you could now see both drives in My Computer..

Here's the scoop on older drives. If a disk was burned with the session left open (multi-sessioning), most older drives do not support multi-session disks. If you select the "Close CD" option, some older drives will read these disks.

Also, I've found that certain types of disks do not work with other drives. This is unconfirmed, but I've been told it is because of the tint used in the CD's themselves. Certain color disks do not reflect older lasers. Sounds feasible, but not that likely...

--So Says Polychronopolis..

Komok

Yeah, throw the old unit from the window and see it cut air while flying and then break into multiple pieces upon hitting the ground reminding of how our universe began

------------------
    A person who argues must be completely sure in himself. A thinking person would never be completely sure in anything. That's why two thinking persons would never argue; share their points of view they will

cr4

Sorry Polychronopolis, my mistake in the original problem statement. I have only one CD drive. During that period, it read normal CD alright, but couldn't read a recorded CD (the one's that can be re-recorded many times) - Yes, I noticed it has a different shiney surface. But since the change in the driver, it is now reading ok. (Yes, sometimes I have to load and re-load it a couple of times)

------------------
    cr