philips cdrw problem

Thread: philips cdrw problem

Post philips cdrw problem

i have a machine here with a philips cdrw, not sure what speed, but its causing the system to lock up. if there is a cd in the drive on boot up, the machine locks, if there isn't a disk in the drive, everything is fine. once in windows, you can put a disk in the drive, but once you try to access it, the machine locks. i've never seen anything like this with a cd rom. is the drive bad? or could something else be causing it. i've tried different motherboard drivers, that didn't work. there is another cd rom in the machine and it works ok.
    take care and tempt not the fates

How is everything set up in terms of Master/Slave Primary/Secondary? Try moving the drive to the same port as the CDRom that does work. If they are on the same chain, try transferring the lockup drive to the same point on the chain as the working one and vice versa. Also, make sure they are seated properly. Is the drive showing up correctly during POST?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

sorry, i should have posted this earlier. the drive is set to master on the 2nd ide. i have tried a different ide cable, but i have not switched the two cd drives. i'll try that and repost. thanks for the reply.

ok, update here. the cdrw was set to master on the 2nd ide, and the cd rom was slaved on the 1st ide. i switched to two and now the cdrw works, and the cd rom caused the machine to lock up. is the 2nd ide contoller bad? i have tried different ide cables, different ide drivers, i don't know what else to do. anyone have any suggestions?

I'd first remove the driver for the secondary IDE controller from device manager and redetect...there could be a problem there....otherwise it does seem to suggest a bad controller.....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Sowulo,

i've removed the the driver and let windows find it again, i've updated the driver and set it to use windows standard pci ide controller driver. same thing, and i'm out of ideas. thanks for the the replies guys

It is very possible that the 2nd IDE port has crapped out on you. I would suggest trying a 3rd and even a 4th device on that channel if possible. Try a hard drive as one of those if possible. If none of those work, then it sounds like that controller is toast. Never fear, PCI cards are relatively cheap with ATA 66 controllers.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

i've already hooked our test cd rom and a old hard drive up to the 2nd ide and i get the same result. looks like the ide port is bad. i'm just waiting to her from the customer. thanks for the speedy replies guys.