[RESOLVED] performance diff between tualatin celeron & coppermine p3

Thread: [RESOLVED] performance diff between tualatin celeron & coppermine p3

kababoom

Post performance diff between tualatin celeron & coppermine p3

anyone has advise on the performance diff btw tualatin celeron compare to a 100fsb p3 of the same mhz speed?

thought the celeron had less cahce making is slower, and doesnt perform the clock cycles as the copermine

kababoom

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by All Mighty Daemon:
    <strong>thought the celeron had less cahce making is slower, and doesnt perform the clock cycles as the copermine</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">But what abt celeron with tualatin core compared to p3 with 100mhz fsb (eg p3 800e)both having 100mhz fsb

the tualatin celerons have 256k l2 cache, making them in essense pentium 3's with a 100 mhz system bus. they are actually a little faster than a p3 of the same clock, assuming the p3 is on a 100mhz bus, because intel put a data prefetch controller into the die while they made the shrink to .13 microns.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

I would concure, as all my research and experimentation with celeroms and p3 of the newer types have proven.

I don't know if this is true about the new ones, but I've had 2 celerons, one a 333 and the other a 500, when running basic aps, (Word, Outlook etc..) the 500 Cel would run about as well as my P2-450 (Cel had 96MB Ram, the P2 had 192).

But when running high end apps (hi-graphic games, desktop publishing, cad/cam etc..) the P2 would run ciurcles around the Celerons, even when my P2 only had 96MB Ram (same as the Celeron).

So, I would say for basic home usage, then Celeron would be fine, but if you're ruinning the high end stuff, the Pentiums may be a better choice, but don't forget, I'm not too sure about the new celerons.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

The Pentium 3 is better for multi-tasking by far than any other chip I have ever used, including the Pentium 4.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

may as well try it out

Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

LOL

damn kato, you beat me to it
    take care and tempt not the fates

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Originally posted by Draggar
    I don't know if this is true about the new ones, but I've had 2 celerons, one a 333 and the other a 500, when running basic aps, (Word, Outlook etc..) the 500 Cel would run about as well as my P2-450 (Cel had 96MB Ram, the P2 had 192).

But when running high end apps (hi-graphic games, desktop publishing, cad/cam etc..) the P2 would run ciurcles around the Celerons, even when my P2 only had 96MB Ram (same as the Celeron).

So, I would say for basic home usage, then Celeron would be fine, but if you're ruinning the high end stuff, the Pentiums may be a better choice, but don't forget, I'm not too sure about the new celerons.
    The reason for this is the damn near 0kb cache of the old celerys. The new ones have at least a little bit
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-