I am desperately hoping someone out there can help me with this. I was on the phone with Microsofts tech support yesterday to get absolutely no help on this since they can't figure out what the problem is.
I installed ME first over 98 and my USB would no longer work nor would my scanner hooked up to it. I then did a clean install on ME and it still doesn't work. When you open up the USB in the device manager there is only one thing stemming from it saying compact PCI to USB open host controller (I only have 1 usb on my pc but I could of swore there was more than 1 thing showing in there when I was running 98)and it has the yellow exclamation point on it. It says its either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. It tells you to try updating drivers, I have and they tell my I have the best driver already. I can't install the software in for the scanner because it tells me the USB is turned off in the bios and to contact the computer manufacturer. I did and they told me there's no way to turn my USB off and on in the bios. Microsoft told me that the USB on/off in the bios is the same as plug and play os yes/no. No matter if it's on yes or no, the prompt for the scanner software says it's off. I was told my computer manufactorer also that maybe I needed to download off their site and install a new USB. I did and the prompt comes up saying: A previous version of Microsoft USB supplement has been found, do one of the following-a.)uninstall previous version if you've already installed already b.)re-install windows revision b c.)if you have already run this setup in this session, reboot. Micro. tech couldn't figure this one either. He said it seems like it's not letting me update the drivers and had me delete the files to USB in the Windows/system32 folder but they copy themselves right back. I have a HP scanjet 3300c scanner, went to their site and found an updated driver for ME, downloaded it but again, it won't let me install it in because it says the USB is turned off. I don't know where else to go from here. Micro. tech told me there's nothing they can do for me because they haven't encountered this problem before and I guess Im suppose to go without my USB if I want ME. I deperately need help here so if anyone has an idea or knows what the problem is it would be greatly appreciated.