[RESOLVED] USB not working with ME - REAL tech needed

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB not working with ME - REAL tech needed

Snglbnny

Exclamation USB not working with ME - REAL tech needed

I am desperately hoping someone out there can help me with this. I was on the phone with Microsofts tech support yesterday to get absolutely no help on this since they can't figure out what the problem is.
    I installed ME first over 98 and my USB would no longer work nor would my scanner hooked up to it. I then did a clean install on ME and it still doesn't work. When you open up the USB in the device manager there is only one thing stemming from it saying compact PCI to USB open host controller (I only have 1 usb on my pc but I could of swore there was more than 1 thing showing in there when I was running 98)and it has the yellow exclamation point on it. It says its either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. It tells you to try updating drivers, I have and they tell my I have the best driver already. I can't install the software in for the scanner because it tells me the USB is turned off in the bios and to contact the computer manufacturer. I did and they told me there's no way to turn my USB off and on in the bios. Microsoft told me that the USB on/off in the bios is the same as plug and play os yes/no. No matter if it's on yes or no, the prompt for the scanner software says it's off. I was told my computer manufactorer also that maybe I needed to download off their site and install a new USB. I did and the prompt comes up saying: A previous version of Microsoft USB supplement has been found, do one of the following-a.)uninstall previous version if you've already installed already b.)re-install windows revision b c.)if you have already run this setup in this session, reboot. Micro. tech couldn't figure this one either. He said it seems like it's not letting me update the drivers and had me delete the files to USB in the Windows/system32 folder but they copy themselves right back. I have a HP scanjet 3300c scanner, went to their site and found an updated driver for ME, downloaded it but again, it won't let me install it in because it says the USB is turned off. I don't know where else to go from here. Micro. tech told me there's nothing they can do for me because they haven't encountered this problem before and I guess Im suppose to go without my USB if I want ME. I deperately need help here so if anyone has an idea or knows what the problem is it would be greatly appreciated.

i NeEd HeLp

Angry

Same problem with me!!

Windows ME is my operating system and my 3Com USB Network Interface hardware is not working at all.

I went to "The Wiz" and they said that I could download drivers which would be missing on my OS, but I've been on the site for hours now and I haven't come up with anything.

Someone please give me some assistance.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

I am using an Asus A7V with winME and my usb is working fine. have an hp printer working on it. in my device manager i have three usb devices- Generic usb hub, usb root hub, and a via tech 3038 pci to universal host controller. what mobo are you using? I have found that if your mobo drivers are not in right the usb will not work. I have also noticed that most bios do have an option for enable/disable usb, and many also have a usb legacy support option.

[This message has been edited by techs (edited October 28, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

thumphreys

Unhappy

I'm having the same difficulty described by Snuggle bunny. I am using a Soyo board and Win ME. I have been searching frantically for answers but no help. ANY info would be appreciated

Darren Wilson

Snuggle

I need more information on the system in aspects of what configuration is the machine, i.em what board, bios revision, etc.

If you could post this then we may be ableto offer more help.

------------------
    Visit my BRAND NEW Site from the 4th November 2000.

The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

jez1993

If your using an AMD processor and or VIA USB controller there is a bug in Windows Me/9x that keeps USB devices from working. Last I checked MS had the patch available for 9x, but not ME. Personally I just took Me off my machine since ME was just a pain the butt.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

I don't have any patch and my usb is working with an AMD processor and Via based mobo. do you have a link for the patch?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

ImageZ

Another factor is chipset, if you are running *ANY* Via chipset, there is multiple patches out there for USB, most are written explicitly for windows 98, but they also work on ME, or at least the USB router does.

If you are running a Via chipset (KX-133, KT-133, etc), get and run Via's 4in1 driver, found at
    www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm

although it does not ACTUALLY state windows ME support, several systems I have installed this on have seen conflicts such as this go bubye.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    - ImageZ

(Guns don't kill people, WINDOWS kills people.)

Andi

Lightbulb

Just a suggestion but check the motherboard update page it may be that you will have to flash the BIOS as some boards seem to have faults with ports on upgrading.

Darren Wilson

If MS told you that it doesn't matter if the USB in the BIOS is enabled/disabled then I would phone them up and tell them to learn what they are tag about.

I have a local competitor who sends all of his systems out with the USB disabled in the BIOS, customers go to use a USB device, not detected. Turn USB on in BIOS and they work fine. He also disabl;es DMA support for HDD in BIOS as well!!!!!

I say keep doing this Mr Stapleford as it makes me a fair bit of money

Turn the USB on in the BIOS then d/load the Latest VIA 4in1 patch and install it.

------------------
    Visit my BRAND NEW Site from the 4th November 2000.

The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

Belkin USB 2.0

Had to return one for just the reasons given here. The second one worked fine, but the led on the transformer is inoperable. I think their quality control is poor, and hence the poor quality of two duds in a row. I will buy an alternative brand the next time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woppenhe
    Had to return one for just the reasons given here. The second one worked fine, but the led on the transformer is inoperable. I think their quality control is poor, and hence the poor quality of two duds in a row. I will buy an alternative brand the next time.

pardon?

Yes, it was meant for a different thread--sorry.

Not sure if this has been covered, but are all the Windows updates installed? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. I'm doubting this had anything to do with it, but just to be sure it was mentioned.
    Hello World