[RESOLVED] USB and ATA100

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB and ATA100

hmil

Post USB and ATA100

I have an ASUS A7V133 and am running Win98se. When I boot from the ATA controller, my USB functions don't work properly. I have all 4 USB ports available and they check out fine in Device Manager. I have an Epson Scanner in one port and a 4-port hub in another. If I try to scan something, it gets halfway through and dies. The lights on the hub go out even though I'm not accessing it with the scanner. At that point, I usually have to reboot (What a surprise!). I have tried to Via filter as well as the traditional Microsoft drivers, with no luck. Any suggestions?

i had a simular problem. your usb ports aren't supplying enough juice to the hub & the scanner. assuming that is an usb hub. just plug the scanner into the usb hub so that it will run off of the hub's power, not your pc's.

hmil

I did find out that the USB patch that came on the CD with my motherboard was not effective. When I found another patch on the Microsoft site and installed it, the problems vanished. Microsoft's patch specifically addresses problems with am AMD processor and the Via drivers. Thanks for getting back to me though. I really appreciate the help.

Where is this MS patch? I just might need it.
    ...I don't get it...

hmil

Oops! I'm having the same problem again; so evidently the USB patch wasn't a long term fix. This one is baffling me.

I had exactly the same problem with a scanner and printer connected to the usb-ports of my asus a7v (not a7v133) mainboard. I solved the problem by downgrading the bios to version 1005a. I realise that this isn't a true solution for your situation but it might be useful to try an older bios version of your mainboard.