[RESOLVED] USB mouse cuts out

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB mouse cuts out

Andy Schiffman

Angry USB mouse cuts out

ok when I go to play a game (ultima Online third dawn) once I get in my USB intellipoint explorer optical mouse dies. The mouse in the PS/2 port still works but usb dose not. I tryed calling the help desk but they said it was not the game so I am thinking it is my USB drivers or something? Also when ever I turn my computer on I have to pull out the mouse usb plug then put it back in to get it to work. But if I just restart it works fine.

Is this a USB problem? or some type of power problem were the usb is not getting enugh when I run the game or somthing?

I am running windows ME on a AMD 450mhz processor.

Try going to MS download center and get the Intellimouse Explorer 3.2 download, if you haven't already.

It solved my mouse "hang" problems in ME.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

I had to remove and reinstall USB support to fix this prob for one client...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Unhappy

I got the same problem, I'm using a Wheel mouse Optical, and when I go into a game, the mouse cuts out on me.

I'm using Win98 with a TNT2 and a PCI USB port.

I was thinking of moving the USB card to another PCI slot, would this have any affect?

I had the same problem once with a customer's mouse. I had to RMA it!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Sparky625.NET

Here's something related...

My Logitech Optical USB Wheel mouse acts a little weird. Every so often, it decides to run frantically around the screen, actually hits all edges and goes very fast. This last for about a second, but is very obnoxious, especially when I need to click that bad guy now!

Tried all the drivers for the Logitech mouse, have the newest drivers for my ASUS P3V4X, and nobody makes it go away.

Just thought I'd tag along for this ride.

Ner... forgot my ideas...
    What's your PS rated, and are you running a bunch of cards/drives with your AMD chip? Those could cause some power issues.
    Might be an issue with the little squeaker's HW to need to be removed and reinserted on cold boots.

Wink

Hi, Y'all. Silly question that's been nagging me for awhile. If you have a computer built in the past couple of years then no doubt you have PS/2 ports for both the keyboard and mouse. The Logitech and MS USB mice I have seen have the option for either USB or PS/2. Now the question.

Aside from freeing up IRQ12 what possible gain will be realized by using a mouse on the USB port if you have an available PS/2 port. Like wise with a USB keyboard unless you needed to use it as hub.

Just wonderin'
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Originally posted by Sparky625:
    My Logitech Optical USB Wheel mouse acts a little weird. Every so often, it decides to run frantically around the screen, actually hits all edges and goes very fast.
    So what's that mouse on? Crack? Mainlining Caffeine? LOL
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Just read an MS KB article dealing with "erratic pointer" troubles....the only solution to "hyper speed" or a weird reversing of the pointer is to go into mouse properties and slow it down a notch or two.

Not much of a "fix," is it!?

BTW, I use the USB connection for three reasons, frees up the IRQ, can be connected/disconnected without powering down, and my USB hub is on the desk behind the monitors, so I finally have more than enough mouse cable to go around.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

Cool

Some of the early AMD chips ie 4-600MHz had problems with USB altogether, there were patches posted on most mobo sites to fix the problem though.
    Life is only as complicated as YOU make it.

another advantage to usb is the refresh rate it's 100hz as opposed to 60hz on the ps2 port. (but you can use software to bump the ps2 up to 200hz)

Try using drivers for a slightly different mouse or the default usb HID drivers, as long as its usb and has the same stuff (wheel, optical, etc) it should work and then you could rule out some things.
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!