[RESOLVED] Cd-rom drivers (*.sys-files)

Thread: [RESOLVED] Cd-rom drivers (*.sys-files)

Jyden

Post Cd-rom drivers (*.sys-files)

Hi Everyone !!!

I'm having a bit of trouble to install my
    CR-581-J (Matsu****a) cd-rom drive. I've downloaded a win98b bootdisk from:

"www.bootdisk.com"

According to their troubleshooting it could be solved by replacing one of their cd1.sys files with a *.sys file from the manufacturer. I've been on their downloading page (Panasonic/Masu****a) and downloaded the specified driver but it doesn't contain a propper sys-file. I've also tried to install their drivers after a boot but it couldn't locat "mscdex" anywhere so I'm pretty anoid about my cd-drive.

I don't know if the problem is about my cd-drive being connected to my motheboard via my soundcard.
    Could anyone help me with this problem.

------------------
    JYDEN

It is very likely that you need to enable the port on the soundcard first. Otherwise, the CD-ROM driver will never find the CD-ROM drive. What is the make & model of your soundcard?

Jyden

Thumbs up

Hi Schulzz !

My soundcard is a awe32 from creative and I bought the sound-card together with my cd-drive.

Should I connect the cd-rom to another board in my computer ?????

------------------
    JYDEN

Assuming you have a free connector, usually it is better to connect the CD-ROM drive to the secondary channel on your motherboard. In fact, that may be why you are having problems...conflict between the two ports.

Shultzz found the right drivers for your CD-rom. You need to make a autoexec.bat and config.sys file on your win95 boot disk and copy the sr_aspi.sys file and the mscdex.exe file to the boot disk.
    Your autoexec.bat file should look like this
    MSCDEX /V /D:CD000 /M:10

and your config.sys file should look like this

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=SR_ASPI.SYS /D:CD000

with these files made and the drivers loaded on your boot disk you will be able to start your cd from the start-up disk and install win95

Also it will not reconize the drive without the mscdex.exe file on the boot disk, it is not a cabling problem. and should reconize the drive no matter which port it is on, either the motherboard or the sound card, the only thing is check which address the port on the sound card is assigned to, and make sure the address does not conflict with the ports on the motherboard, there should be a jumper on the sound card to change the address or disable it.

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited July 27, 1999).]