Sidewinder plug & play USB

Thread: Sidewinder plug & play USB

Post Sidewinder plug & play USB

just purchased a Microsoft sidewinder gamepad for my cpu which is running windows me...I have had nothing but problems trying to get it to function properly or at all. The game controller menu in the control panel doesn't list any microsoft products...I tried downloading directx8 , but I am still having the same problem...what gives?

Which model of the Sidewinder do you have? A quick search of Microsoft didn't reveal any drivers for ME as being available.

any usb problems do this first ( also seen with ms sidewinder and commander units )

remove device ! install direct 7 or above 8 works fine now
    install latest chipset drivers especially if VIA. find the 4in1 drive for VIA above 4.26 if possible.
    install the Microsoft usb filter patch ( this helps loads with their stuff
    install or get latest sidewinder software. a 8meg approx download that covers all their devices (sidewinder). install the software this will then prompt you to plug in the device etc.
    if you still get problems try moving ports or removing other usb devices. make sure nothing that uses heavy resources is on same irq ie sblive cards network or scsi cards

try using usbview.exe ( find this on windows98 disc in extras if my weak memory serves me right not sure about me ) this gives you a better snap shot of your usb devices

:P

Last year I bought two Sidewinder joysticks and I got them only running after I installed the newest sidewinder-tools (where the drivers are inside)

thanx for all your help so far...I've downloaded the patches , drivers, etc..still no recognition...what is so odd is when I try to load a microsoft joystick in the control menu..all the options are for video and sound....argh!

Darren Wilson

Try this one if you haven't already
    http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/d.../swff2qfe1.exe

Just a few odd suggestions........
    Have you tried another USB device to test the ports or have you other devices plugged into the ports already?
    Is windows properties showing a working USB Controller ?
    Have you checked the bios USB is configured correctly?