[RESOLVED] Installing USB CD-RW

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing USB CD-RW

PC/Newbie

Question Installing USB CD-RW

When I loaded the software and plugged in the drive my computer got really slow and my speakers started to buzz. I couldn't get the drive to operate correctly. I thought I had a resource conflict but my device manager doesn't have any indications. I checked my IRQ settings and looks like my Intel USB universal controller, sound card, and IRQ holder for PCI steering(not sure what that does) has the same IRQ (IRQ 10). I tried to change the IRQ for the controller but it only had one configuration.Give me a hand if you could. System settigs:
    Pent III 450
    64 MB
    13 GB HD
    OS win 98
    Any questions let me know

IRQ's for PCI devices are usually assigned at the BIOS level. So if you need to change the IRQ for a PCI card there are a couple of possiblities:

1 - if your CMOS allows you to set the interrupt for each PCI slot, you can change it there, or

2 - if you move your PCI card to a different PCI slot the interrupt should change.

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Service Manager
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net

Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Is there a CD-ROM shipped with your motherboard?
    If so, it contains some drivers for your motherboard under the most common operating systems.
    Try installing (if it exists) the IRQ REMAPPING UTILITY or IRQ MINIPORT DRIVER. Reset the system as told and maybe this would solve your problem.
    I've seen machines using the same IRQ for Sound Cards and USB, without any particular problems.
    The IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI STEERING is needed and has always the same IRQ with each installed PCI Device.

Good luck...

------------------
    God created human.
    Human created computers.
    God then got mad and created customers!!!!!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.