Help with AMD 756 USB problems

Thread: Help with AMD 756 USB problems

Angry Help with AMD 756 USB problems

i have a MSI 6167 slot A motherboard with the AMD 756 chipset with a fresh install of WIN 98SE and I have a usb problem. i can install a usb device (usb network card or usb cdrw) and it will install ok, when i restart everything works fine. but the next time i restart, the machine will not load into windows, it will freeze after the windows splash screen. i have to enter safe mode, remove the usb network card (or usb cd rom) the usb host controller and hub root and reboot. windows will restart and will pick up the usb controller and the usb device and install them, i'll reboot and everyting works until i have to restart. then the whole thing starts again, i have to go into safe mode and start removing. i have updated the chipset drivers from the AMD site and tried every MS usb patch i can find. nothing works. i have searched the newsgroups and other people are having this same problem, it seems to be a problem with the AMD 756 chipset. but so far no fix. anyone have any ideas, i'm getting desperate. thanks guys
    take care and tempt not the fates

Do you have anything loading up in autoexec.bat and config.sys? A lot of times when it freezes at the windows splash screen, there is something in the startup files that causes it.

josh