[RESOLVED] USB hub failing?

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB hub failing?

captpackrat

Post USB hub failing?

I seem to be having this odd random failure of either my USB hub, or part of the Root Hub.

Sometimes when I remove my Pocket PC from the cradle, the lights on the hub will go out, and my mouse (plugged into that hub) will blink out. No amount of plugging or unplugging will get the hub back online nor any of the devices plugged into it to function. The only thing that will bring the hub & peripherals back online is a full reboot.

It has done this with both my Jornada & Cassiopeia.

I'm running Windows 2000, and have a MS Natural Pro keyboard with a Wacom Graphire tablet plugged into it, a multi I/O hub with serial & parallel ports, a 3Com web cam, and another hub plugged into it, this hub has a Logitech iFeel mouse, MS Sidewinder 2 joystick, Pocket PC cradle, and PhotoChute PCMCIA/CF/SM card reader. The keyboard & multi I/O hub are plugged directly into the Root hub.

Any ideas as to what the heck is going on? And can I restart the USB controller without rebooting?

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

MacGyver

Whoa, momma! That's a lot of stuff being plugged into the USB chain... try unplugging everything (including the USB hubs) and just plug in the cradle directly into the USB port on the back of your computer. If that solves your problem, you know there's a conflict somewhere. Add the devices back in one at a time and reboot each time to see when the problem starts up again.

You didn't say if your USB hubs were externally powered. If you have to much stuff on a USB channel you can drain all the available power coming from the USB port on your PC. This may also be the issue, or part of it.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, and you try to fix it anyway, then it WILL need fixing!

I had the same problem which it my case turned out to be a cable that wasn't making a good enough connection with MB. I replaced the cable with one that was a more snug fit and haven't seen the problem since. BTW, I have an HP laserjet, HP Deskjet, Web CAM, Mouse, Scanner, and SurroundSound Speaker system running off USB.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

yea, I believe you can run a little over 100 devices on a single USB Port.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

IT Len

Gotta agree with macgyver...same thing happened to me using a hub. Until I remembered the external power device that came with it, hooked it up and totally solved the problem. [And I had nowhere near the number of USB devices attached by catpackrat!] Eagle is correct...I think the number is 127 devices possible.

captpackrat

All the hubs (except the MS keyboard) are self-powered and plugged into the wall. Only the keyboard hub is bus-powered, because it has no power connection. The only thing plugged into it, however is the Wacom tablet, which is a low power device.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

MacGyver

Question

Did you try my suggestion above, unplugging stuff to see if that stops the problem?

Does it make a difference if you plug the cradle into one of the USB ports on your computer, and the rest of the stuff thru the hub and into the other port?

------------------
    If it ain't broke, and you try to fix it anyway, then it WILL need fixing!

captpackrat

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to yet, as getting to the back of that particular system is a real hassle. I'll probably try it this weekend though.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press