[RESOLVED] Computer shut down

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer shut down

robfam

Question Computer shut down

I am not sure if I should put this under USB or not, but that is when my problem started. I have a PentIII866 with an IBM46G hard drive. All was well until I installed an Iomega external USB cd burner. Now the computer will not shut off. If I didn't have a toggle switch on the back of the cpu, it would not be shutting off at all. I uninstalled the software which accompanies the burner and the computer shut down again ok. It is Adaptec. I called the tech dept at Iomega and they could not figure out the problem. He said the USB drivers are in Windows98 second edition which is what I am running. You guys have always helped me out before, I hope you can again.

iateyourcat

goto windowsupdate.microsoft.com and grab the windows 98 shutdown patch.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

robfam

Question

I did that and it still doesn't help. The cd burner itself performs great, but as long as I have it plugged in, the cpu will not shut down.

Sebring

Let me see if I understand you correctly, if you leave the cd-burner connected and uninstall the Adaptec software then the computer shuts down ok? what version of the adaptec software are you running?

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

[This message has been edited by Sebring (edited February 28, 2001).]

Darren Wilson

I have seen similar problems with external USB boxes and normal CD-Rom drives. Shutdown patch wouldn't work and the only way to get the system to shutdown was to either pull the USB box out of the system or to use the Stop/Remove Device command from the USB Systray Icon that ME or 2K puts in there. This one has always bugged me.

I found this though on the Iomega support site that may be of use to you.

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/10778.html

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS