[RESOLVED] USB bus problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB bus problems

omnikron

Angry USB bus problems

I just reinstalled windows 98. Now I have more problems, and I've spent a long time on them. I just baught a brand new barebones Epox EP-8kta+ mobo and a 750mhz t-bird... I have a USB Logitech Wheel
    mouse, and it won't work anymore. It will occasionally work when I
    reinstall USB controller drivers & plug and unplug the mouse, but sometimes
    it won't. It never works after booting up.
    Other USB devices won't work either, so I think its the bus drivers. The computer takes FOREVER to reboot and will lock-up when I select 'restart in MS-DOS mode'. I'm not sure what is going on here, but this new computer shouldn't be working this bad.
    The only drivers I have to choose from for the USB controllers are 'Via Tech
    3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and the Standard Universal PCI to
    USB Host Controller. I'm not sure why there would be a problem with them,
    but I've installed every driver update and bios update I could find. Any
    help would be appreciated,

~Tim

Are you sure there isn't a flaw in the Motherboard causing this problem. If you go into safe mode and delete all the USB settings in device manager, then reboot and redetect and still no go, I'd try another MB.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

MIFUIC

Wink

Ominkron,

Microsoft has a patch for that problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q240/0/75.asp

File Name: 240075up.exe

omnikron

Thanks guys, I bet those ideas would have worked if my clip the holds the fan on the CPU hadn't broken and fallen off... somehow damaged my motherboard, because no video comes on anymore... and I've done everything I can think of.. swapping CPU's, videocards, ram, etc... no luck. So hopefully when I get a replacement board, the USB will work better Thanks again!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by omnikron:
    Thanks guys, I bet those ideas would have worked if my clip the holds the fan on the CPU hadn't broken and fallen off... somehow damaged my motherboard, because no video comes on anymore... and I've done everything I can think of.. swapping CPU's, videocards, ram, etc... no luck. So hopefully when I get a replacement board, the USB will work better Thanks again!</font>
    Ouch!! Good luck.

------------------
    Men's view of Women: All your sex are belong to us...
    Women's view of Men: All your attention, time, and money are belong to us....

arcade

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MIFUIC:
    Ominkron,

Microsoft has a patch for that problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q240/0/75.asp

File Name: 240075up.exe
    </font>
    I got a similar problem with my ca930 smart parallel cable on epson photo 1200. before having new pc with w98se, it was fine now just wont print. got to keep reinstalling cable driver and/or printer. tried the upgrade but no resolution. any more suggestions?

AcId_BuRn

Try to enable the devices in your bios first off all.

------------------

Shed

Question

I've just got a patch to enable usb support for win 95. But it only work with revision b. I have version a. Does anyone know how to upgrade to b as it is really pissing me off

95b is a completely separate version of Windows. If you have to buy a new version you might as well go to 98se which supports USB very well.

maverickhowell

Wink

Microsoft are being plagued by this problem and it normally boils down to chipset incompatabilties between Windows (95/98) and your motherboard.

Shutdown/restart issues are normally attributed to the system not powering devices off fast enough before the voltage is dropped on the CPU and other issues like those you described with USB devices are also common.

Changing the motherboard is the best option and I would recommend sticking to a true Intel rather than a clone. Other motherboards known to have the problem are the ASUS CUSL series and some ABit and Chaintech boards. Supermicro boards are normally very good also.

As far as the OS is concerned WinME has by far the best hardware, chipset and USB support without shelling out for Win2k so I also suggest that as a worth while purchase.

Cheers!