[RESOLVED] USB ports i/o errors

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB ports i/o errors

SteveS

Red face USB ports i/o errors

My PC is a P3 x 800mhz with 384mb RAM, 2 x IDE HDD and 2 x SCSI HDD. I have an Adaptec 2940U SCSI card, NVidia 32mb GeForce 2 PCI, AWE64 Gold ISA sound, 3Com ISA modem. The OS is Windows 2000Pro.
    I have purchased a Sandisk USB CF card reader, which the computer finds but then immediately tells me that I've unplugged and disconnected it. If I put a CF card in the reader goes wild with error messages and tells me the reader is no longer there and goes into a perpetual loop of screen errors. I formatted the drive and loaded ME but this didn't work and I got blue screen I/O errors; I'm now back with 2000Pro. The reader works with other PC systems, with Win98, ME and 2000Pro but I cannot get it to work on my PC. The problem has to be with my PC and not the OS or the CF card reader. Can anyone help me with what might be going wrong with the USB ports on my computer? Would a new PCI USB card do the trick?

Any other USB devices working on this system? You could try to uninstall the USB drivers in device manager and then reboot and redetect....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

SteveS

Red face

I've tried an uninstall of USB drivers, re-booted, altered BIOS and re-altered back again. I've formatted with WIN 98, Win ME and changed to FAT32 with no result. I changed OS back to 2000Pro, re-formatted with NTFS and still no good. I do not have any conflicts showing in device manager - save that is for the Sandisk ImageMate which I cannot load for reasons previously described.

Hi,
    Hmmm looks like u tried everything possible software wise...
    Sounds to me like it must be either the USB device or the USB controller that is the problem. Do you have anything else on the same USB controller? Do they work fine, or do they have similar problems? If its the controller, a new PCI card USB controller shouild fix the problem...

Originally posted by SteveS:
    I've tried an uninstall of USB drivers, re-booted, altered BIOS and re-altered back again. I've formatted with WIN 98, Win ME and changed to FAT32 with no result. I changed OS back to 2000Pro, re-formatted with NTFS and still no good. I do not have any conflicts showing in device manager - save that is for the Sandisk ImageMate which I cannot load for reasons previously described.

Will another USB device work properly on your system? It sounds like it wouldn't. If so, disabling the onboard USB and plugging in a PCI USB card might be your best option if the Motherboard isn't under warranty.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

SteveS

The motherboard is out of warranty and for once it looks like I can't blame the OS - which I have to say is quite good considering all earlier versions of MS OS I've used. I've had to order a PCI USB card which should be here on Tuesday. I'll disable the BIOS and post the results. Thanks for your help.

SteveS

The Belkin PCI 4 x USB card worked at treat. Thanks to those who helped.