USB - Wrong install from the start

Thread: USB - Wrong install from the start

Exclamation USB - Wrong install from the start

I am currently sorting through about three different cases where my clients have installed USB devices with the wrong driver. Somehow these items work about 70% and I'm to correct the other 30%. A USB CD-RW was installed that writes just fine but locks up after every burn. A Sony mem card reader disables the ATAPI Zip etc. Once a USB device is installed incorrectly, is there an easy way to correct it? I have tried reloading the correct drivers, but it vomits on me and reverts back to the wrong driver.

Have you tried going into device manager and deleting the driver before re-installing? If that don't work, then you might have to manually remove the driver from the hard disk to get it to work.
    Want to do something about todays kids?
    Mentor a Child !
    <a href="http://www.mentoring.org/rd" target="_blank">http://www.mentoring.org/rd</a>

I am at the point where I need a good procedure for manually removing the link between the device and the incorrect driver. For example, the Sony Memory reader is listed as a Generic USB Hub. When I remove it, since Generic USB Hub is in the default INF files, it loads it. If I change the driver under device manager, it states that the driver is incompatable. I know that the driver is the correct one, so what I really need to know is how to remove the association for things like "Generic USB Hub."

You might try going through your INF folder and finding the one it's stuck on and removing it.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

You might try going through your INF folder and finding the one it's stuck on and removing it.
    And also force into safe mode, then goto device manager and remove all usb Devices then go to the INF folder. Has worked for me
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...