[RESOLVED] My CD-drive connected to my awe32 creative card

Thread: [RESOLVED] My CD-drive connected to my awe32 creative card

Jyden

Thumbs up My CD-drive connected to my awe32 creative card

Hi everyone ! (also Schultzz)

I've posted a message about my troubles wih my cd-driver to my matsu****a cr-581-j cd-drive. It's an old one bought together with a awe32 sounblaster soundcard (Creative) and I've connected my cd-drive to my motherboard trough the soundcard. My troubles installing win 95 to my new harddisk stops when I can't install my cd-drive with the maunfacturers drivers and also a win95b bootdisk from
    "www.bootdisk.com".

1. Could anyone provide me with a sys-file for my cr-581-j to be installed in the bootdisk.
    2. Any other troubleshooting would be helpfull.

OK...now I know what you are trying to accomplish...

First, do you have a secondary IDE port on the motherboard? I would connect the CD-ROM drive to that first, if a connector is available. If you don't have the drivers for the CD-ROM drive, download the DOS drivers from here:
    http://www.panasonic.com/host/suppor...-oem-cd-r.html

If you can't connect the CD-ROM drive to the motherboard, try slaving it to the hard drive - a little trickier. You need to set the jumpers on the hard drive to master with a slave attached, set the CD-ROM drive to slave, then attach the CD-ROM drive on the same cable as the hard drive. Install the DOS drivers mentioned above.

If that still doesn't work, or you want to try enabling the AWE32 IDE port, you will have to find the right DOS drivers here:
    http://support.soundblaster.com/file...os&prod=awe_32

I've always had a hard time figuring out which files I need exactly, but if you read the fine print carefully and use a little trial and error, you will likely get one that works OK.

Let us know if this helps...

Shultzz found the right drivers for your CD-rom. You need to make a autoexec.bat and config.sys file on your win95 boot disk and copy the sr_aspi.sys file and the mscdex.exe file to the boot disk.
    Your autoexec.bat file should look like this

MSCDEX /V /D:CD000 /M:10

and your config.sys file should look like this

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=SR_ASPI.SYS /D:CD000

with these files made and the drivers loaded on your boot disk you will be able to start your cd from the start-up disk and install win95

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited July 27, 1999).]

Mustang

the boot disk will not recognize a cd rom that is attached to a sound card for installation
    in order to use that particular cd rom you will need the correct dos drivers for it unless it is also capable of being used as an ide drive.
    if it has the capability to be used as an ide drive then you can use a win98 boot disk to allow the cd rom to be used to install software.
    shultz was the one who was right on this subject

Yes Shultzz did find the right drivers like I said. In the examples I have above are the right panasonic driver names to make a dos driver bootable, and with these dos drivers on the boot disk it will make a CD hooked up to a sound card work as long as there is no conflict with port addresses on the sound card and motherboard.

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited July 27, 1999).]