Blue screen with USB ADSL Modem

Thread: Blue screen with USB ADSL Modem

Angry Blue screen with USB ADSL Modem

Hi everyone, I really need some help. This problem has been occuring for over a month and no one has been able to help so far. I have tried Microsoft, my DSL service provider and mulptiple support forums; the only replys being those of people having the same problem as myself. I am getting a fatal memory storage dump "blue
    screen" error stating "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" anytime I
    am connected to any file sharing service(Bearshare,
    Winmx,Morpheus), it dumps the memory then reboots XP. It is calling out alcan5wn.sys as the
    file with problem, that is the driver for my Alcatel USB
    DSL Modem. This modem connects by USB only, I do not have a ethernet option with it. I have upgraded to the latest XP
    drivers and also tried a clean re-install with no luck. The BIOS on the PC is up to date and there are no IRQ conflicts shown in device manager. The problem will occur on either my onboard USB ports or from ports on a PCI USB card that is installed. The problem ONLY occcurs when connected
    to a file sharing service, not with regular surfing. I
    do not even have to be downloading or uploading a file to
    get the blue screen while using the services, just connected to the servers. It is a random dump, it can be after 5 minutes or 20 minutes or using the service. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? Any help would be
    appreciated.....Thanks in advance, Ray

Here is the error;
    Windows has detected an error and your computer is being shut down to prevent damage.

Error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

If this is the first time you have seen this error reboot and if the error occurs again check any newly installed hardware and software and reboot Windows into safe mode using the f8 yadda yadda yadda....

stop 0x000000d1 (0xff4af000, 0x00000002)
    alcan5wn.sys - address fa0a2f2d base at fa09c000

IBM P3 board(6862 to be exact)
    650 mgh P3
    224 Mb ram
    Voodoo 3 2000
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    USB expansion card
    CD-RW

This is a resource conflict issue. I would check for conflicts. Also turn off the "plug-and-play OS" option in the BIOS. If these are a no-go, try updating the BIOS.

Do you have on-board USB? Turn off the on-board usb in the BIOS, it may be what is causing the conflict with the expansion card.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein