[RESOLVED] Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM XM-6401B Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM XM-6401B Problems

Kaiko

Post Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM XM-6401B Problems

When using my new Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM XM-6401B, I frequently get an error message indicating I should re-insert the CD I'm using or that the CD is dirty and should be cleaned. This has happened while using children's edutainment CD's and while installing a software program. To recover from the error I simply hit enter and everything works fine. When I don't get this error the CD-ROM works great. Technical support suspects it may be due to the drive spinning down automatically (as controlled by the SCSI adapter), for which there is no fix (their assessment). I am unfamiliar with SCSI CD-ROM's. Is this correct? Is there another explanation? Any suggestions on corrective actions? I am running a Pentium 200 system with Win98, Adaptec AVA-1515 ISA SCSI adapter, one internal SCSI device (the CD-ROM), one external SCSI device (Zip drive). The internal IDE CD-ROM drive I previously used never had this problem and my SCSI card and ZIP drive have always worked. I appreciate any help you can provide.

kenetic

Given time dust can accumulate inside the cdrom and interfere with the reading of the cd's. get a can of "Hard Blow" and give it a blast while drawer is open. also, look at the problem cd on the silver side for any scratches or smudges that might be on it. Obviously your cdrom is working fine on other cd's so the latter is most likely the problem.

Peter