Pursuing a computer career

Thread: Pursuing a computer career

Unhappy Pursuing a computer career

I am about to retire from the military and I enjoy computers very much. I have 24K to spend on my second career and I want it to deal with computers. I enjoy building, troubleshooting and networking computers but I would not consider myself a pro. I want to get some professional schooling and certifications so I can make lots of money! hehe! What would you folks suggest? Are there any good sites that I can go to to look up this info? Please help me out...

Voyager

Cool

First get your A+ (hardware)
    Then decide if you want to focus on Laptops and or printers and get certified on those.
    Second - you will need some Microsoft training on Windows Troubleshooting for 95,98 and 2000. Then if you have any money left look into Microsoft Certified Network Training and focus on NT or Win 2000 server.

A+ is a good beginning. Network+ should be your next step, which will help you prepare, if you are planning on making a career in IT. MCSE & UNIX are both good tracks to follow-up with afterwards. Keep in mind what your long term gaols are. MS Windows (95,98,NT,2K) is a largely populated OS and unavoidable, so you should try to gain your experience in supporting these OS's, not to mention the additional software. (SQL, Exhange, ISA, etc.)
    As for UNIX, many OS's evolved from it.(Linux, Mandrake, QNX, BeOS) Learn your way around UNIX, and you'll be able to catch those other OS's fairly well.
    From there you can grab Cisco, Novell, etc. Keep in mind, that it's not easy. And reading these forums helps you. Build your experience, and you'll fly!

PS
    Keep in contact with IT professional buddies. That helps in the long run too.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

A+ and Network+ are going to run you a couple of hundred $ (US) for the tests alone. Since you said you enjoy networking you might consider MCSE, CCNA or CNE certifications. The MCSE tests will run you around $600 - $1000 depending on your track. CCNA and CNE are somewhat less than that.

As far as education/training, start with a few introductory books just to make sure that you are really interested in making the commitment to tech support as a career. Although coming from the military I don't think you have a problem with commitments. In any event, if you decide you really don't see yourself in the IT field you will only have lost $50 of so on the books. I would also recommend looking into the University of Pheonix at http://www.pheonix.edu. They have an excellent reputation in the IT field and have become pioneers in the field of online training. This offers incredible flexibility for those who would like to learn while they are working in the field at the same time. Plus it beats conventional education because you are not necessarily tied down to a college campus.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

A+core and A+ Windows = $400 CDN

Network+ = $175 CDN

Start there.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I agree that A+ and Network+ are great places to start. The MCSE is a good long-term goal, but don't expect it to come quickly with the new tests. Have you thought about doing self-study? I've done about 10 cert exams now, relying just on the books and experience. You could conceivably spend a few hundred on getting three decent computers, and a hundred or so on books for each cert. It may take a little longer than the class, but I think it pays off in the long run. And the short run too, judging by the prices on some of these classes!
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

I am sorry, but I must disagree with all the previous posts - take advantage of the college benefits while you can and enroll to get your BS in the field - MIS/CIS or CS - a bachelors degree is worth 35-65% more than not having it - you can then focus on certifications - however that BS says more about what you can and cannot do, and entirely too many employers still require one to get hired - heck, many employers have entry level positions paying more than most of the people on this forum make and will train you (I know I missed several because I don't have my BS degree).

The most valuable certification you can ever get is your four year degree - that cert never expires, provides a solid foundation in the field and opens door that you cannot pry open with a crowbar without it, then go for your certs.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I would agree with Cyberhh. Optimally, you would want both a BS and the certs (A+, Net+, MCSE, CCNA, CNE, etc.) This is the same process I am following, but luckily the college I'm working through uses the certification textbooks as course material. I get the colelge degree and study for the certs at the same time. By the time I'm done, I'll have the certs and the BS in one swoop.

It's definitely a good way to go if you can afford it.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

If you want more info on certs, examcram has some good information in their certification planner.
    http://www.examcram.com/
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

Wink

I know that I am way late with a response, but here goes. Ask yourself what your goal is for your self, not just your career. My recomend would be to get a college degree in a not necessarily related field, and follow up with certs in computer fields as needed. The college degree will get you into areas far flung from the computer world, and may seem to be not worth the time and energy. I think that it is worth it, for your own self. It is a valuable watermark for your career also. The certs add more value to your resume also. Unless you run across me, I will need professional references which I hold in high regard. I digress, sorry. These watermarks stay with you always, but the real value to you may be an acquired taste in continued learning, which in the computer field is really needed. Just look at the rate of change in the last 10 years. Will it slow down? I think not. There is the potential for tremendous change in the physical media of computerdom, and just as big a change on the software side, just around the corner. The "legacy" thing may slow it down a little, but I see it as inevitable. OK, I've rambled enough. best of luck to you. BTW luck favors those who prepare.
    Friend of Charon

Okay, now I need to amend my previous post. If you don't already have a BS, that's definately the way to go first. I assumed that 'professional training' meant technical classes, and not just a BS. Unfortunately, however, a BS alone doesn't buy much. I think this is especially true in the computer field, unless you're interested in programming or management. What I meant when I suggested avoiding the computer classes were the 'boot camp' type classes and such.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go