[RESOLVED] quitting job to get certs

Thread: [RESOLVED] quitting job to get certs

gaff2

Resolved [RESOLVED] quitting job to get certs

I just put in my resignation from my job, going to live off my 401K for about six months & am going to see just how many certs I can earn through self study. 15 years electronics in Navy, 9 years teaching electronics, 1 year computer building/retail & 6.5 years network administration.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you have the basics for the A+, the N+, and one or more MCPs or possibly the CNA depending which OSs and network software you have been using. I would recommend going to your local book superstore and looking through the certification books there, especially these ones and any others that you recognize the titles of. Flip through the practice questions. if you can get most of them, buy one and study for that test. The more certifications you can get, the better off you will be.

I would spend at least a week studying for any that seem easy, and more for anything that gives you trouble, especially if the test is adaptive. Even if they seem easy you don't want to screw around as they're all expensive to take and you don't get your money back if you fail.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Since you are in Tipp City, you may want to check out Cisco Networking Academy at Edison College
    http://ciscoweb.edison.cc.oh.us/

PizzaMan

gaff2

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info & support. Edison looks like a good possibility. I know what I have to do. Now I just have to do it.

- cork

well it depends on how you want your career to track out from here. if you want to go OS networking you should hit either the MCSE, CNE, or RHCE. If you want to go network hardware you should go for you CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, and/or CCIE. You can check out all your options at www.brainbuzz.com
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein