[RESOLVED] Questions About New A+ Certification

Thread: [RESOLVED] Questions About New A+ Certification

bonosgsb

Resolved [RESOLVED] Questions About New A+ Certification

Recently I decided to become A+ certified and I had some questions about the new tests. Has anyone taken it? What are the major differences and how intense does it cover windows 2000? I am studying on my own for this certification with the help of the tech who took the old dos/3.1/9x tests. Just looking for some help. Thanks All.

I took it about a month ago, I had taken the old one a while ago and my current employer wanted me to take the new one when it was available. The hardware side is pretty much the same, know your basics. The software side which was "DOS/Windows" is now "OS Technologies". There is no DOS on it, but there was a couple spots that refered to a DOS window. It's mostly just the basics, knowing how to configure and troubleshoot. If you've worked with the operating systems you should have no problem. The questions on NT4 and 2000 were a little more tough than the Win 9x ones but just mark the ones that you're not sure on and go back to them when you finish the rest. If you would like, I was given by my company A+ Objectives in PDF Format for both tests, they're not a whole lot, but I can email them to you.

Good Luck!
    Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

OS test is 80% NT4 10%Win2K and 10%Win9x....know networking!

Out of curiosity, did the old A+ cert expire when the new test was implemented?

I'm going to be pissed if I have to retake the test.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

They told me that mine would never expire. Hope they haven't changed their mind!
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

That's the impression I had, when I took the old test about 3 months before it changed. I just really don't want to find out that I wasted $260.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

ChowFun

Cool

I too have taken the test and passed it about 5 months ago. They have told me that when you have passed their test (Comptia's test) you are certified no matter how long you took the test. You don't need to keep retesting when they come out with a new test. Unlike Microsoft. Which i am currently studying for.

Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Some places will ask when you took the A+ test. When I asked why they wanted to know, one of them said they wanted to make sure I'd taken the more recent, more difficult test.

Originally posted by ShortFuze:
    I too have taken the test and passed it about 5 months ago. They have told me that when you have passed their test (Comptia's test) you are certified no matter how long you took the test. You don't need to keep retesting when they come out with a new test. Unlike Microsoft. Which i am currently studying for.

I think the Cert for Comptia will not expire. Since the organization is designed around the industry, it will the the industry or IT field that will dictate if it staill has any value to employers or clients.
    "The labor's free, it's your attitude that costs $120.00 an hour."

BS:IT, CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:EA, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Project+, CIW