computer science or computer engeneering

Thread: computer science or computer engeneering

Exclamation computer science or computer engeneering

I have 1 more year of high school to go before my parents wisk me off to university. I was wondering what the differences are between computer science and computer engeneering and what would be the better course for me. I like the hardware side of computers more than the software side. But I don't know any programming languages execpt, HTML and Q-basic... and I can programm games into my graphing calculator (TI-83).

------------------
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't water a horse lead.
    Every action creates an equal but opposite criticism.

Wink

Okay, heres the difference as far as my experience goes. Computer Science is nothing more than math and programming languages. Thats all, Computer Engineering is math, programming, and electrical engineering courses which means it is more hardware related. Go to the webpages of the colleges you are looking to attend and lookup the course curriculum for Computer Engineering and Science so you can see the difference. Have fun

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

TheOracle

Exclamation

Ok here is the low down on schools. Computer science is the general science for people just enetering computers or are going to need it to complete their major (Buss. , Archt. things like that) That is a good starting point if you think you need some brush up courses. Also good classes if you want to get your core done in a hurry.

Computer enginering on the other oh boy just think of LOTS of clac. Physic and the nature this is for the person that is going build Chipsets and CPU and Mainboard layouts. this is HARDCORE! If you do major in the this it is going to probably have you take CS (computer science) 101 through 210 or higher. If you have anymore question let me know I be gald to help you. Iam a tech right now and I love it.

------------------
    "These are the thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools." Carlin

Alucard

Here's the trap that I fell into. I too, liked the hardware side more than software, so I thought, "OK, I'll do CMET (engineering)"
    Whoops, here I am learning digital logic and electrical theorems. I don't care how to rebuild the damn motherboard! "Get out your o-scope and soldering iron!" Anyway, I enjoyed most of it until I started drinking too much beer and f*cking high-school seniors all night. Bottom line is, unless you want to learn how do design and troubleshoot circuitboards, take Computer Science, or Information Services. Better yet, save your parents' money and don't go to college. A lot of the worlds best technincians (like me ) didn't go, or didn't finish college. We all still make 60K+ a year. Best of luck to ya.

------------------
    If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.