Which cert?

Thread: Which cert?

Banned

Post Which cert?

I just got hired on permanently with my company so that means that they will pay for my continuing education(ie certs). I have a bland paper CNE for 4.11, not really used except for administration duties, and I just recently studied myself and got the A+ cert. I was thinking about moving on to the Net+, but waiting to make sure the new books for the exam were good. I have also been thinking about doing the nasty and getting my MCSE, but everything I find on it is either 6 to 9 different college courses(way to long) or the boot camps(not feasable to take 2 weeks off of work). Should I go ahead and study myself and get the Net+ or keep finding some way to take the microsoft classes in less than 2 years? Also, are the cd's that I see advertised a good option or should I look for in class instruction?

Net+ and then MCSE sounds like the next logical step, unless your working with something particular like Novell.

As far as the intensity of the MCSE goes, cant you still take those tests at seperate times or has that changed with the newer tests?
    I dont feel tardy...

I took my MCSE classes in the evenings. The classes were 3 nights a week and one Sat. every other. This was 14 weeks total.
    Honest opinion: There was alot of information "crammed". Not that I didn't learn anything but there was alot of reading you had to do on your own. I found the instructors competent but they were definitely there to teach you how to pass the exams.
    There are so many of these "classes" though that the best way to find one would probably be "word of mouth".
    BTW-Classes must've worked (and the transcenders and brain cram sites as well) cause I am an MCSE and that is not just Minesweeper or Solitaire .

I think next time I go back to classes I will do it slowly and take some college classes.

PS. And while it is fun to bash the shoddy MS, I have a pretty good feeling MS will be around for a while so it would be good to get certs in. Although real life exp. rules when a manager hears them "buzz" words and sees them "buzz" words attached to your name it can't hurt.

Congrats on permanent employment esp. that pays for continuing education. You now control your own destiny. Best Wishes!
    "Good music makes you want to dance and kiss your girlfriend. Great music makes you want to riot and kill...."- Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine

Definitely go for the Net+. It's a good well-rounded network cert. But I would only suggest persuing an MCSE track if you use Win2K heavily in the work place or if you plan to in the near future. I've been studying for MCSE through a local college course (federal scholarship ) and I can actually apply so little of it with my company's current network setup. Here's how I see it:
    • A+ = You already got it you know what it's about
    • Net + = good networking theory cert, excellent for laying a networking foundation
    • MCSE = excellent if you use a Win2K network. Has some useful theory outside of MS enviroments but still comprised of seven seperate tests which means time and money (for your employers that is)
    • CCNA = routers, routers, routers....did I mention routers?

The only reccomendation I can make is find out exactly what software and/or operating systems your company uses and persue those certs. MCSE is a nice title to have, especially with the more difficult test structure...helps to rid the field of the paper MCSEs. MCSA may be a better option. If you finish your Net+, the combination of A+ and Net+ will count towards your MCSA. There's info on MCSA <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsa/default.asp" target="_blank">here</a>. The A+ and Net+ can count as your elective already eliminating one of the four exams. Without knowing what your company needs of you it's hard to make a recommendation, but I think you see what I'm getting at. Personally, I've finished A+ and Net+ and am working on MCSE, MCSA, and thinking about CCNA.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

Banned

We currently have a hybrid network with Novell as file server and NT for exchange and internet. All of our desktops are presently 98, but according to the boss we will be eventually going to 2000 or xp. She recommended MCSE, but yes I am kinda looking at the MCSA as an alternate as well. The future is moving away from the 98 desktop, so it would benefit me either way to be more familiar with the NT setup as in 2000 and XP.

Try to find a place for training that doesn't just push CBT, but has meaningful live labs put together where you can build, destroy, and rebuild everything to do with the subject matter to learn it inside out on a practical level. I was fortunate to get some "pre-experience" like that, I think it helped me a lot. Good luck.
    Floor 1, Room 3572A, Section Cl9, Cubicle 2ZBG-Q45

Network+ is a really good cert especially since MCSA came about. A+ and Network+ are two of the criteria for them. Ive had both of those for a while now and they have been really handy. I havent had the time to invest in any Microsoft certs since Im still a student.

I personally recommend the for dummies books for studying. IMHO they have a really good testing engine and their books are really easy to read. I always hated Sybex books, since they are wordy and dry and their test engine blew. Exam Cram and Exam Prep are also very good.

If you are good at self-study Id say pick up two books per test just because each author may put emphasis on different things. Then continually take practice exams either through the book or through internet sites. Once you are getting above the grade continually sign up for the test.

Ive never tried any classes but have been leary of them. A community college is probably the better choice since the commercial classes want you in and out quick and charge an arm and a leg. Feel free to give it a try if you dont think you have the discipline for a self-study regiment. Id probably have a lot more certs if it werent for my lady, shes the one without the discipline

Hope this helps
    You mean something broke and you didn't break it? ~ ZIM
    I know I'm scared too. ~ GIR

if your company is paying for it, go for the MCSE, it's probably one of the most recognized and most expensive. You would be crazy not to take advantage of the free ride. Make yourself more marketable on their dollar, don't drag your feet, trust me, get it started today.
    "We have assumed control"

I would recommend getting the Net+ first. If you already know the stuff, it will be very quick and easy. If you don't, you'll need to know that first anyway. Then I'd take at least one MS exam (probably Workstation, although server would work, too). That will get you up to speed on the fundamentals, and will put you in a good position to plan the next step. There's no reason to commit to the whole MCSE program all at once. It sounds like the MCSA might be just right for you, too, but I'd tackle them one test at a time.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go