CCNP or Security Specialization?

Thread: CCNP or Security Specialization?

Post CCNP or Security Specialization?

Which do you guys think is more valuable...

a) CCNP
    b) CCNA + Security Specialization

I'm not really sure myself, but I'm leaning toward the security specialization. Both the CCNP and the Security specialization are 4 exams, so its not like ones "easier". What do you guys think?

thanks,
    Kory

[quote]Originally posted by korpse:
    <strong>Which do you guys think is more valuable...

a) CCNP
    b) CCNA + Security Specialization

I'm not really sure myself, but I'm leaning toward the security specialization. Both the CCNP and the Security specialization are 4 exams, so its not like ones "easier". What do you guys think?

thanks,
    Kory</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would get your CCNA first, then decid on going for CCNP or security.. CCNA will get you a great grounding in networking wich will be needed for the CCNP.. Best o luck
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

[quote]Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong>

I would get your CCNA first, then decid on going for CCNP or security.. CCNA will get you a great grounding in networking wich will be needed for the CCNP.. Best o luck</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe, got my CCNA now I'm deciding what to go for next. What do you think? I work with a CCNP and he says I should probably go for the Security specialization because its really valuable nowadays.

[quote]Originally posted by korpse:
    <strong>

Hehe, got my CCNA now I'm deciding what to go for next. What do you think? I work with a CCNP and he says I should probably go for the Security specialization because its really valuable nowadays.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tough choice.. I'm working on CCNA now, plan on getting CCNP and then CCIE. Go with what you enjoy doing.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

[quote]Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong>

Tough choice.. I'm working on CCNA now, plan on getting CCNP and then CCIE. Go with what you enjoy doing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good luck with the exams. I heard the CCIE exam is really really hard, something like 60% failure rate, and its expensive...so make sure you have a really good job that will pay for the training and exam for you!

What do you do? If you work in the security area I'd go for the security cert. If your an admin somewhere I'd look at the CCNP. The NP schools you on a broad variety of topics (RAS, MLS, Intenetworking, and a buttload of protocols you'll never use).

If it was me, I'd go learn everything I could about BGP.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

[quote]Originally posted by iateyourcat:
    <strong>What do you do? If you work in the security area I'd go for the security cert. If your an admin somewhere I'd look at the CCNP. The NP schools you on a broad variety of topics (RAS, MLS, Intenetworking, and a buttload of protocols you'll never use).

If it was me, I'd go learn everything I could about BGP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right now I do a lot of work with TACACS+, RADIUS, and a few VPN protocols (IPSEC and PPTP mostly), so I think the Security specialization is probably right for me. I've always been interested in intrusion detection and stuff like that so I think I will go for it. Thanks for your help guys...