ladies and gents, I just sent this email to Microsoft. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Dear Micro$oft,

I have just taken (and failed) my 70-216 Network Infrastructure exam. That's fair enough, I thought I knew the subject and obviously didn't, so I will go and do some more studying. I haven't got a problem with that. What I do have a problem with, is the fact that no result was given other than a rather peremptory "You did not pass."

How the hell are we supposed to learn from failure if we don't know how far away from that elusive goal we were?

In days gone by, at the end of the exam, the result would be broken down into sections, and a score for each section would be given. This was immensely helpful, as it let you know your area of weakness(es) and let you plan a new study regimen to compensate. Then, in your infinite wisdom, you decided to do away with that, and just give the result.

Not content with that little bit of unhelpfullness, you have now decided not even to tell us what mark we got.

What's next - not telling us if we've passed individual exams, and only a pass/fail on the entire MCSE????????

Are Microsoft deliberatley trying to alienate all potential MCSEs?

I'm seriously rethinking my position on wanting to continue with the MCSE - having spoken to several large city-based consulting firms, they just laugh when you tell them you are studying for an MCSE - they consider it to not be 'hardcore' enough in the words of one.

Hang on, I've just had a thought - maybe this is a way to generate more revenue by forcing people to sit more exams - tell me if I'm wrong.

Having talked to colleagues, we have all come to the conclusion that the exams are ridiculously intricate - they try and trip you up at every step, and the questions are couched in such overly-complicated prose that it takes the majority of the time allowed just to understand what's being asked. In a real life situation, you DON'T HAVE TO MEMORISE WHAT EVERY OPTION IS ON A MENU. You go to a menu, click on it, and go 'ah yes - that's the one' - you use visual aids to prompt responses. Likewise, when using command line programs - have microsoft never heard of the /? switch which gives you the syntax?

It would be nicer to see a two-track setup to the MCSE - a purely theoretical setup which covers concepts and ideas, and a purely practical track which uses simulations that allow for people to occasionaly go to the wrong menu if it's a mistake, then correct yourself, go to the correct menu, choose your function, then execute it. That is what happens in REAL LIFE.

All my colleagues - who are either full MCSE, part qualified MCSE or just have 15-odd years of experience have read this mail and agree with it. I'm sure others will as well.

I await your enlightened response with bated breath.

Sincerely,

Robert Spencer (MCP)