Asus A7M266 glitch?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7M266 glitch?

Angry Asus A7M266 glitch?

Has anyone ever seen a motherboard glitch/lockup and cause the CPU fan to stop? The system has a XP1600+ Cpu retail and has been pretty solid running about 52C under load, but the other nite it locked up and I pushed the power button and I heard a fan (not sure what fan) come on and when it rebooted it prompted me to goto bios due to temp problem and it showed CPU at 212degs F!!! So I shut it down and 15minutes later rebooted it and it's been normal temps since. I removed the HSF and cleaned the surfaces and put fresh coat (thin) of Artic silver II and my temps are still 125degs F idle and 132degs Max load. Thinking about getting a better HSF combo and running the Fan off the Power Supply rather than the mobo connector. I have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans plus the CPU fan. Case temps run 80degs F.

Banned

sounds like u have a board glitch there.

suggestion: split the lead going to m/board (or buy an adaptor) run red-black direct to a PSU connector but keep the blue connected - for motherboard monitoring etc,

i was paranoid about a "orb" i bought , but when i stripped it down to clean , the actual fan used less currant than a standard "cheapy" fan ,,,so i reconnected it.

PS the asus "probe" setup aint right accurate ,,,on the a7a because of the sensors position it reads about +10c ,,,,,,on mine

cheers freddy.

Banned

sorry!!!! when i went back to read my post i started laughing to myself:

Quote:. I have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans plus the CPU fan. Case temps run 80degs F.

i was just thinking you might have sucked a bird into the engine.

sorry.................

freddy

[quote]Originally posted by VCTech:
    Has anyone ever seen a motherboard glitch/lockup and cause the CPU fan to stop? ....running the Fan off the Power Supply rather than the mobo connector. I have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans plus the CPU fan. Case temps run 80degs F.

Yes, often & this is best. All off(not connected to) the mb if you can.

Yeah, sometimes temperature controlled Fan can be evil...
    Have seen once similar effect on one an old Slot1 motherboard. Motherboard's BIOS was somehow damaged by well-known Win95.CIH virus, and CPU cooler stop spinning (it was controlled by BIOS, I guess). After reflashing back the BIOS chip problem was solved.

There can one issue,though - new motherboards have built-in BIOS control of Fan spinning. Motherboard will not start at all,if there is no fan connected to CPUFAN connector.
    So,in that case You can connect to that CPUFAN connector another FAN with speed sensor (shassis FAN, for example),and CPUFAN connect directly to the power supply.But don't forget to set CPU overheating alarm in BIOS settings.

Banned

yes Ruslan ,,,,but the way i understand it (at least on my ASUS board) ....red-black =power , blue = RPM indicator.

note i say indicator not controller.

would still suggest if using "high power" fan (although i have yet to come across one) then connect red/black to power molex and blue to m/board.

if the blue is connected then yes "all" boards will fire up.

cheers freddy

[quote]Originally posted by freddy:
    yes Ruslan ,,,,but the way i understand it (at least on my ASUS board) ....red-black =power , blue = RPM indicator.

note i say indicator not controller.

You're right, but what I meant saying "temperature controlled FAN"... You see, some of motherboards (far not all) have special medium power transistor switches soldered into motherboad, what turns ON and OFF the CPUFAN (and another fans).That process is controlled by special BIOS setting. For example,if current CPU's temperature more than 40degree(C) - fan is ON, below - OFF.
    Nothing to say, sometimes it can be dangerous for CPU,if something went wrong with switch or settings were set incorrectly.

Banned

ruslan , i wasn,t sure if that WAS what you meant , when u answered earlier,no problems,

although i have seen software progs , to slow fan etc , i have never seen a m/board that did this.

can u name off hand any CURRANT (ie duron/athlon-celeron/p4) boards that have this type of setup?

please only tell us usa/europe ones ,,,,,,,i would like to look at/checkout those boards..

thanks freddy

It wasn't new motherboards... Motherboard in my fisrt reply was ASKA (SilverStar) LX slot1 motherboard (it's just another name of cheap PCPartner motherboards).
    In second post ... I do not remember that manufacturer exactly...Asus or Gigabyte...most likely it was Gigabyte,but I'm not sure...one of those motherboards was socket7, another one - slot1...it was year or even more ago...

[quote]Originally posted by Ruslan:
    ......But don't forget to set CPU overheating alarm in BIOS settings.

?? more problems than it worth sometimes.... ???

Well as far as setting alarms in BIOS, maybe i'm missing it but I only see where I can enable monitoring or Disable, I have an Abit board that allows alarms but not seeing it in the Asus A7M266 Bios 1005. BTW...system has been running over a week 24/7 with no problems, kids has been playin the hell outta it too. Just waiting for my wife to quit spending all my money so I can invest in diff HSF combo and PCI cooling system because those Geforce2 MX400 64Meg video cards put off some serious heat!

Banned

if u have a ASUS board then there will be a utility on the cd called ASUS PROBE ,,,,if u havnt got it u can get it from here http://www.asus.com.tw/download/mbdriver/mbdriver-index.htm ,,,,bottom of page,

dont get worried when your temps look high ,,,,it depends where the "probe" on the m/board is sat.

freddy

[quote]Originally posted by VCTech:
    Well as far as setting alarms in BIOS, maybe i'm missing it but I only see where I can enable monitoring or Disable..system has been running over a week 24/7 with no problems

Glad to hear. I was refering where you can set a temp many bioses now have this but often they will cause an alarm when there shouldn't be, on off is plenty. If you must set an alarm temp needless to say pick the highest value if you are getting errors.

Well sometime last night it did it again, wife woke up smelling something and told me she pushed the reset button and nothing happened and then when she pushed the power button she said he heard a fan come on, so she shut it down at 2am last nite, i fired it up this morning and it booted to 1050Mhz, I changed in bios to 1400Mhz and all seems fine but, I'm buying a HUGE HSF today, one that requires external power rather than from motherboard and a friendly call to Asus just to get their oppinion because it's not the processors fault although if it continues it will be replaced with a P4. (Not tryin to cause AMD vs Intel but... )

Just found interesting article regarding CPU FAN controlling. www.almico.com/sfhardware.php
    May be that's what You were asking me, Freddy...