Asus A7M266 glitch? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Asus A7M266 glitch?

Called Asus, his 30sec answer was that i must have a bad power supply and if that's not it, then send the board back. Hmmmmm maybe I can sell my NEW power supply on ebay when I prove that wrong. I would expect the system to fail under load not while idle if it was a power supply. I wonder how much their techs make?

[quote]Originally posted by VCTech:
    i fired it up this morning and it booted to 1050Mhz, I changed in bios to 1400Mhz and all seems fine but, I'm buying a HUGE HSF today, one that requires external power ......

Something is spiking bios and flushing something or you have iffy mememory(10.5 *100 on reset not 10.5 *133 like it should be, auto detect playing up?), windows shouldn't write to bios but it definately does. The via inf patch contained in the 4-in-1 is often the culprit because it re-writes the ms specification table which ACPI bios uses to boot, but without knowing what other stuff you have pluged on the bus I can't say much more.

What kind of hcf modem needs an external psu...? or do you just mean an external modem or I think you mean a Heat Sink & Fan(in which case re-read the thread).....

Please post all your cards & mem specs

Heatsink and fan, maybe i said that wrong sorry. I'm running Windows XP and was told I didn't need to install the Via4in1 so I haven't, everytime the system fails a post etc...it defaults to the lower bus speed and 1050Mhz but identifies the processor as XP1600+.

Ok I put on a new Heatsink and fan that has Copper core Base and the temps have reduced about 2-3degs F only but I took the Red and Black wires out of the 3pin plug that goes to Motherboard and attached them to the +12/Ground of the Power Supply and ran some benches to warm it up and so far so good. Guess my next post will be if the system locks but I'm fairly confident it won't. I just think it's a glitch in this board I have. We will see.

I have seen this exact issue with a bad stick of DDR.

If you have DDR, I recommend running a thorough test on it.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Banned

Thanks RUSLAN ,,i am using a board that is listed ASUS A7A (by the way -good board with version 1009 bios) will check on this ,and if sucsessful will report back (it says 10% - 15% drop in fan speed)

freddy

[quote]Originally posted by VCTech:
    Heatsink and fan, maybe i said that wrong sorry. I'm running Windows XP and was told I didn't need to install the Via4in1 so I haven't....

Yup HSF is more traditionally used to denote an internal serial modem card......

Well I dunno who told you that but "The 4in1 drivers are the same for all VIA chipsets and all Microsoft operating systems (Win 95, 98, 98SE, 2000, ME & XP). (*Last updated 21 December 2001)" is what it says on the driver link from viatech.com.

Believe me (& VIA) you want the 4-in-1, you get an improved bus mastering driver a new gart driver (for your video), and most importantly you get a new .inf which identifies the chipset (& its features) to windows. You also get a patch file for 95 (the bit you don't need) that corrects some bios issues with the MS specification table for bios which can cause boot problems.

You can download the individusl bits seperately if you prefer....

Ok changed the Power supply out, put a UPS in front of that and ran SiSandra Pro tests on it 10 times in a row and everything passed this last weekend...last night about 8pm it did it again, popped the side panel off and the Northbridge fan was not turning (good thing I hardwired the cpu fan ) ...push the power button and that fan came on but no go....powered down and back on and she's good as new again. OHH and I put another stick (just one this time) of Crucial256 2100 in when I changed the PS out..unless I keep getting bad sticks then I'll rule that out. Got 3 sticks of ram now...too bad only 2 slots on mobo ....guess I either live with it ...replace it...or something, got Geforce3 coming wednesday so I can at least rule that out!