[RESOLVED] So what do I certify in NOW?

Thread: [RESOLVED] So what do I certify in NOW?

kturnerga

Red face So what do I certify in NOW?

Hello
    I hear about paper MCSE's flooding the market, esp in Atlanta and the dot-coms are laying off. I am a shop tech with coursework in NT and working on MCP's in Win 2k. I am A+ certed and have an MS in another discipline. What do I certify in to get into supporting networks? Do I get MCP's and go with Cisco? Learn Linux? A full MCSE? What mix is good?
    Thanks
    Ken

iamtheman

Well Paper MCSE's are just that, paper that can burn up or be thrown away. . I can usually tell when someone has a clue or not about 5 minutes into the conversation. As many people will learn a boot camp will not make you a millionaire. I recommend getting certified in Windows 2000, it seems like Microsoft may actually be trying to make it harder to pass these tests. Then you can see where you want to go, Cisco is a good route but by no means easy.

------------------
    Born to Network

iateyourcat

Angry

it's funny now to hear people say "I'm gonna get my mcse then get cisco certified." well, why bother getting microsoft certified at all? the two fields are completely different. i mean yes, they do complement each other and knowing one helps you understand the other but unless your going to be a sales tech (who leave's the real work to the people who have to implement the stuff they sell), why don't you master one thing? each of these two fields is incredibly complex. you don't become a master of either of these fields in a year or two or even three. i got my ccna last year because it was paid for by my employer. since then i've seen maybe 10 routers. i started reading ccie books thinking that that was going to be my next step and i realized just what i told you. it's another field. it's another 3 to 5 years of busting your *** learning to be an engineer in a totally different field. if you want to do that, give up NT because you can't keep up with both technologies.

so pick one and stick with it. your expertise will pay in the end.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

More and more jobs in the Orange County, CA area (and in LA) are looking for people who are both CCNA and MCSE to be a Sr. Network Administrator, which is why I am getting my CCNA.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

rscos

I got the 3 NT4 MCPs on top of just under 3 years of experience. the MS curriculum is a joke, it either covers stuff in more detail than you'll ever need, or it doesn't cover the stuff you need at all.

I'm doing CCNA one night a week - but the CCNA qual that comes out of it will be a bonus - I'm doing it so that I can understand networking/comms at all it's layers in far more detail than I currently do. In my next job, which I start in a couple of weeks, I may get to use a router once every couple of months, so the CCNA isn't really needed, but I do want a knowledge of how it all goes together.

------------------
    rscos (MCP)
    "Sometimes, I think the gene pool could have used a little chlorine."