[RESOLVED] To MCSE or not....

Thread: [RESOLVED] To MCSE or not....

Fubarian

Resolved [RESOLVED] To MCSE or not....

been working at a computer place for a while now, almost a year fixing and fighting with win9x. I like 2k and have been reading and doing a few things with it and was wondering if the MCSE would be worth my time and if so, what all areas should I study for (as in buy the accelerated book and take the test) or do you think it'd really be worth it? By the way, I'm 18, which most larger companies look at when I go for an interview (no matter what people say, age makes a BIG freakin difference in the admin field, or assistant for that matter which is what I'm at least trying to get).

------------------
    Hey, what do I know? I'm only an Apprentice....that knows how almost every part works...

Fubarian, age isn't a big deal, they want the paper and the real world experience, nothing starting a new job in charge of 9 servers (sweating bullets) and the only experience is what someone got from books, nothing beats the real world, things happen out there that aren't in any books

------------------
    I'm on the right track but the wrong train...or is it the right train but wrong track ?
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Fubarian

no kiddin, I know that, I have been working with computer for 7 years, professionally for a lil over 1. I'm wanting to get into it somehow, and yes AGE does make the biggest difference, they think the maturity isn't there, the expierence is all talk, and really don't understand what fixing these pieces of crap people call computers day in and day out. Besides, the question was is it worth to get a mcse or not.

------------------
    Abort? Retry? Fail? and retry just left....

Talking

Yes its worth it, I wouldn't go spending 10k on a 4 week class though, I think with self study and use of a lab, with your experience you should be good. Somebody will look at your resume and say I want you to work here, but it won't be the first place you stop

------------------
    I'm on the right track but the wrong train...or is it the right train but wrong track ?

[This message has been edited by crtlaltdel (edited February 04, 2001).]
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Fubarian

Thumbs up

I have been tryin like a dog to get a job SOMEWHERE but so far no go. And I was thinking of doing just that, studying on my own time and taking the test when I feel like it. To me personally, a piece of paper saying I took a test and passed is kinda pointless, but isn't that what a degree is ...well not completely but ya know.

Anyway, I got an even better question, where's the cheapest to buy the mcse win2k accelerated book? or is the price kinda set in stone?

------------------
    Abort? Retry? Fail? and retry just left....

iateyourcat

www.troytec.com the accelerated study guide is worth the money. it was the main focus of my study. combine that with the resource kit and a lab and you'll pass like me

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=