[RESOLVED] IS MCSE WORTH OF STUDYING
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] IS MCSE WORTH OF STUDYING

roman08226

Post IS MCSE WORTH OF STUDYING

What do u guys think is MCSE worth of all that studying ang paying money for

UsePost2000

Definately, if you have the ability and time.

------------------
    UsePost
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, CCNA

computertechgirl

Question

I'm studying for the MCSE right now and planning on taking off work for 3months to take the class. I'm wondering, though, how the release of the new Microsoft OS next year, is the expense and all the time off really worth it -will this really be a smart move if I have to recertify so soon?

-Erica

according to MS you won't need to recertify for XP...your 2000 certs will xfer over as well as vice versa
    #3 1951-2001

crazyman

Cool

yes for sure...!!!!

------------------
    PIII600b\128 rdram\pc700
    AMD380\320 ram\pc100
    celeron333\128 ram\pc100
    Roadrunner\So Cal
    X-FILES fan

b4uc1i81

If you think of it, most companies that use PC's run Microsoft OS's, aside from any additional OS. So if your looking for a career in IT, I would say, yes, it is worth getting.

------------------
    "Any" key? What "Any Key?"

CiscoGuy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by b4uc1i81:
    If you think of it, most companies that use PC's run Microsoft OS's, aside from any additional OS. So if your looking for a career in IT, I would say, yes, it is worth getting.

</font>
    It all depends on what you want to do. An mcse is not required to have a job. There are plenty of us without them, and I do quite well compared to my mcse friends.

The mcse is a dime a dozen here. It is worth getting, but it no longer sets you apart from the pack. What helps is being very well rounded. Certs help, but you can't buy experience.

[This message has been edited by CiscoGuy (edited March 21, 2001).]

Right now I'm studying for my MCSE as well as various other cert's. I think it is worthit. You get to learn some basics.

------------------
    Your mother looks like a hampster and your father smells of elderberries!
    To each his/her own.

Think of experience as the filling and the cert as the icing on the cake. MCSE is not worth it if thats all you'll have, experience is number one. I took a class at ACTT and it helped my build many contacts in the tech world, all of the guys in the class were techs, either retail or corporate. Contacts that can help me get a better job, better experience

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

We just got a bunch of new hires, and I gotta tell you - there's NOTHING like experience! These guys don't know SQUAT!

I was trying to explain modem init strings to one guy (with an MSCE no less), and he didn't even know where to put one in! I was apalled.

I know more than these guys, and they've paid the money to go to school.

I've decided that I'm not going to waste my money.

------------------
    #include &lt;disclaimer.h&gt;: I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything, I swear I checked her ID first! Oh, and the opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.
    #include &lt;disclaimer.h&gt;: I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything, I swear I checked her ID first, and the opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.

Depends if you are going for the paper cert without knowing anything else. Any number of tutorials and books are fairly useless without experience.
    If someone offers you a pay rise for getting the MCSE, go for it. If someone offers to pay for you to get MCSE, go for it.
    If you're paying yourself, go for self study.

If you expect to walk into a nice job just because you have MCSE........ Well, don't hold your breath.

What's a modem init string?

------------------
    Have you tried reading the manual?
    What does this button do?

Originally posted by cordon:
    If you're paying yourself, go for self study.

If you expect to walk into a nice job just because you have MCSE........ Well, don't hold your breath.

I second that. Last year I took three weeks off work and took a Boot camp and a Cisco training class. I've been the admin here on Novell for 7 years, and NT for 2, self studied for a year, then took the class to just get it over. Some of those guys had never logged into NT before, and they left with MCSE. I don't claim to know everything, but I've been doing this for 15 years! That sure makes the rest of us worth a lot less!

Bottom line: I got a nice payment book out of it, and the right to temporary end my post with: MCSE+Internet, CCNA!

Wink

ok I think MCSE is crap.. doesn't show you know anything and most MCSE's I know are dumb as dirt.. but is it worth the studying?

I would say yes because a lot of conmpany's honor it and you can get hooked with a pretty decent job... and if you are actually pretty good then you could definetly score..!
    Spend One Hour of Every Day Like it was Your last, you'll Live much better that way

Originally posted by roman08226:
    What do u guys think is MCSE worth of all that studying ang paying money for
    Yes and no. I think if you have the experience you can run circles around these MCSE guys that "think" they know it. As popular as M$ forced themselves to be, there are other options that companies run in addition too or other than M$. I got a buddy that landed a decent job running AS/400 for a major software company. He works with 2000 also, but did need NOT the MCSE to do what the guys he works with do.

Talking

The old NT4 MCSE was getting a bit pointless due to all the exam cram and transender stuff. I had mates comming out of collage with MCSE's but they knew nothing, all they had done was cram a lot then take an exam.
    The 2000 MCSE is worth doing though. Even if you only do parts it is still worth having. Since it is much harder than an NT4 MCSE it does have more value in the market place.
    As I say to all users - Shutup & Re-boot

www.djrobjones.com - everything House