[RESOLVED] IS MCSE WORTH OF STUDYING - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [RESOLVED] IS MCSE WORTH OF STUDYING

Cool

In my area a Regular A+ certified tech is worth 25 thousand a year tops. Just having that MCSE is like an instant pay boost. I believe the lowest wage I've heard of a (competant) MCSE around here recieving is around 40 grand. Bigger cities would be even more (our area doesn't pay very well)

MCSE is worth getting. The technical background as well as the money and job advancment benefits.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

3fingersalute

I think cosidering the pay scale MCSE certified positions start at, it is worth it...I am considering going after mine for that exact reason!

The Microsoft OS is present in 95% of all US Business' (Desktop and Network) there fore certification on this product is essential. If you have the experience and time the MCSE is invaluable to your employment - it also means 10-20k more that you can ask for / yr.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I have some snot nosed phone tech here who has an MCSE and knows it all so I said "Defrag this Windows NT system for me". 4 hours later he slinks in asking me how to do it. I said " Well you are the MCSE didn't they tell you Nt 4.0 has no defrag?"
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"

The MCSE is definitely worth getting if you are going to be using Windows and can't already pass the tests cold. If you take the tests and pass them without studying, it's a waste of time since your resume probably already demonstrates your expertise. But for those with less experience, the tests give you a really good goal for self-study, and you can't help but learn something useful. Of course, you've got to back that with actual experience (at least in a home lab). The pay increase can be pretty nice, as well.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

ummmm...going for my mcse/ccna/a+/mcp and network+ certs. since i don't want to be the most tech savvy guy at mcdonalds flipping the cow patties....

any other certs that were really helpful in the job market, getting your foot in the door?

(I know, i know you can't beat experience with a stick)

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I am neither for or against any cert but I have noticed that the people that have them swear by them and the ones that dont hate them and flame them to no end
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I was lucky enough to get my core NT4.0 certification paid for by my employer, but i had to seldf study. I found that while doing this i am actually getting a better understand as opposed to sitting in a class for 5 days and saying i have MCSE.

Paper MCSE make me really pissed. Expect to walk in to a job and get paid 55K ($NZD) for doing a couple of weeks of study.

Do it the real way, know the stuff in side out. Then work you way to the new CIO.

Damon Campbell (MCSE)
    New Zealand

I think the MCSE can be a good thing. A lot of companies look for that. The only down fall is you get the paper guys and they screw those of us with the experience out of jobs. But, if it;s not what you want there are plenty of other certs out there. I started on the NT 4.0 track and stopped and started over with the 2000 stuff.

N+, MCP

Yipper. But be prepared to recert in the near future. I understand from a previous post that we will not have to recert for XP. However, there will be a point where you will need to recert. If for no other reason just to prove to potential employers that your knowledge is not obsolete. It just part of the natural business cycle that drive IT.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Originally posted by JasonB:
    I think the MCSE can be a good thing. A lot of companies look for that. The only down fall is you get the paper guys and they screw those of us with the experience out of jobs. But, if it;s not what you want there are plenty of other certs out there. I started on the NT 4.0 track and stopped and started over with the 2000 stuff.

N+, MCP

yeah I here that ... stop stealing all the work

N+, A+, CNA, MCSE
    Spend One Hour of Every Day Like it was Your last, you'll Live much better that way

Well, I ordered the SmartCertify Direct's MCSE 2000 study software to improve my resume. I am a tech with over 10 years experience and am still only making $20k a year. The average MCSE with only one year exp in my area is $46k. And most of the MCSEs that I know couldn't tell you what ANSI codes are (which I still use btw). So I feel like I should step up and make them feel stupid instead of the other way around.
    User logging on... 300 BAUD... 300 BAUD!!! Click! NO CARRIER

Please keep in mind that a certification is another set of letters behind your name. They tell a prospective employer that you are employable and that you have a certified knowlege level - also inspires confidence (however false) in your abilities and shows that you can follow written policy (after all that is what you were taught in school) - unlike us rogues with ton;s of experience and little, or no certifications.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010