[RESOLVED] 1/2 Cisco, now what?

Thread: [RESOLVED] 1/2 Cisco, now what?

Voyager

Post 1/2 Cisco, now what?

Made it through the first half of CCNA class, then the instructor left and they had to cancel the other half.
    Problem is I knew most the stuff we covered all ready - so question is , what to do next.

Any kind suggestions would be nice.

CiscoGuy

I didn't take the class when I got mine, but I have a feeling that the real meat of the matter is in the 2nd half.

Are you familiar with cisco IOS? Are you familiar with multilayer switching concepts? Do you understand subnetting? Can you connect and configure cisco devices?

There are those who can learn this stuff from books alone, however this wont do you one bit of good once you are on the job. Do you have access to the devices to play?

Voyager

No I don't have any routers to play with - although we did spend about the last 3 weeks of class working with the CIOS and Cisco Routers.
    I understand the concepts of subnetting - but don't think i'm going to use them much.
    My current job entails more PC/Mac support than Network Support - although I would like to do more network stuff.
    Feel like i'm in a catch 22 - If I don't get the experiance using it, then its hard to learn.

------------------
    Former PC Tech
    Current Systems Manager

CiscoGuy

Well you at least have a feel for it then. The ccna test is pretty basic, but an understanding of the concepts are required as you don't know exactly what they are going to ask you.

You probably have the book from your class, you might want to get the cisco certification guide for the ccna. Between these you will probably have enough. Recently there have been a couple of router sim programs, and although they aren't as good as the real thing, they aren't bad.

When I started working in networking, I didn't have any certs, other than the A+ I needed for a job a few back. You might want to try to find a job in network operations, where you can get training and experience, and probably get all of your cisco stuff paid for.

Oh yes, you probably WILL use subnetting.

[This message has been edited by CiscoGuy (edited March 23, 2001).]