Brainbench
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brainbench

Post Brainbench

Not sure if anyone has ever really used them or not, but they will be charging for tests soon. It will be $20 for a test and $10 for a retake. But for the first 3 months that they will be charging you can enter "member" for a promotion code and get %50 off.

------------------
    .·°Danrak°·.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

carrienscott

Question

Never really cared that much for the carts. I don't see that they help anything.

------------------

It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

I have several certs from Brainbench. I feel that if a cert is there and inexpensive to get - it can't hurt - it's just another thing to attach to your resume. One cert = one letter of reccomendation.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Wink

Any certification is a good certification. They never hurt.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

CiscoGuy

I played around with brainbench a long time ago. Didn't actually bother to get any of the certs though. I couldn't believe that any employer would care about a cert that wasn't actually from a vendor or recognized industry organization. I mean the purpose of a certification is to show that you have actual product or real working knowledge. With brainbench it seemed you could just keep hammering away on it until you passed. I'll go for the real ones, thanks.

[This message has been edited by CiscoGuy (edited February 27, 2001).]

dlagace

I don't think too many companies recognize Brainbech.
    stick with the real thing $200 canadian or free with a voucher from your company( if they really want to keep you)

------------------
    Belive me the customer is rarely right, just make it look like they are to keep them quiet, (if possible)

BUT - Brainbench is now ISSO 9001 certified and is begginning to be looked at by large employers.

NO - Brainbench certs do not take the place of the major industry certs - MCSE, CNE, Cisco Anyhting or Vendor specific

YES - They are something else to put on your resume. Things that there is no real cert for that an employer would be interested in: Tech Support, Desktop Support, Industry Knowledge, Disaster Recovery, etc....

Simply put for $20 you get another piece of legit paper to attach to your resume, what is the problem?

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

computerpro

My spin on this.....The Real Deal...

Non "Tech" employers would probably look at it as a plus. (They don't know any better)

To me and some of the other techs and trainers...it's a joke. If you tried to list a Brainbench certification I would stop reading your resume right there on the spot. And throw it away....

Simply because there are no controls in place.

Want to pop open a book as you answer the questions? No problem...nobody's watching.

Want to have someone else yell out the answers to you as you take the test?
    Go for it..Invite some friends over.

Want to take the test 60 times until you pass? Have at it....take it as many times as you want to....

You might as well just type up your own diploma and sign it for yourself.

Think about it......Would YOU hire someone that got "certified" on-line to work for your business?

Talking

I only did a couple for the heck of it, and they look pretty cool on my wall, I think it depends on who is looking at the resume though

------------------
    These are the facts and they are undisputed
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Kathy2you

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by computerpro:
    My spin on this.....The Real Deal...

Non "Tech" employers would probably look at it as a plus. (They don't know any better)

To me and some of the other techs and trainers...it's a joke. If you tried to list a Brainbench certification I would stop reading your resume right there on the spot. And throw it away....

Simply because there are no controls in place.

Want to pop open a book as you answer the questions? No problem...nobody's watching.

Want to have someone else yell out the answers to you as you take the test?
    Go for it..Invite some friends over.

Want to take the test 60 times until you pass? Have at it....take it as many times as you want to....

You might as well just type up your own diploma and sign it for yourself.

Think about it......Would YOU hire someone that got "certified" on-line to work for your business?

</font>
    I totally agree!! I know a person that is going to take an online course to get certified...it made me laugh!! Here I am reading and studying til my head hurts so that I can pass the exams the right way, and here there is another person doing it the online way! Who will get hired first, me or them? *LOL*

------------------
    Do we live to eat, or eat to live?

consider this:

Brainbench.com has an office/server on the same floor as CDI collage and Sylvan Prometric on the U Of A campus.

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

I'm a tech student at Vatterott College which does their testing through Sylvan Prometric. Our teachers highly encourage us to get brainbech certificates, some even give extra credit for them. We've even had employers come in as guest speakers, who have said that as part of the interview process they have prospective employees take brainbench tests.
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

Kathy2you

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rejection Man:
    consider this:

Brainbench.com has an office/server on the same floor as CDI collage and Sylvan Prometric on the U Of A campus.

</font>
    I would take some of the tests myself if I thought that it would help, but around here where I am they look for the actual CompTIA certificate. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone

------------------
    Do we live to eat, or eat to live?

a certs a cert...still doesn't mean you know crap...just more paper to buy frames for...now...as far as personal growth...i'd say take them for yourself to see where you stand in your knowledge base....or take some sybex tests, transcenders...whatever

I'd say use them as a growing tool...but don't base your job on them

[This message has been edited by Weazel (edited March 09, 2001).]
    #3 1951-2001

I agree. They just prove you at least know what you're talking about. In this program you end up with A+, MCSE, and another cert of choice, plus a degree. A brainbench cert doesn't replace any of those.
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson