[RESOLVED] A+- howvaluable?

Thread: [RESOLVED] A+- howvaluable?

Bogeyman

Wink A+- howvaluable?

Just how important or valuable is A+ Certification in the real world? Is it respected? Thanks for your thoughts.

John

I really don't want to hurt any feelings or make anyone angry, and I am not denigrating anyone who posts to this forum, past, present, or future. This is merely my opinion, based upon observation.

Certification is of varying importance to different people. The problem is that most certification programs merely prove that you are good at taking tests, or took them enough times through a guaranteed-pass program to finally pass. This leads to the unfortunate fact that there are many folks out there who have a wall full of certificates, but still can't fix computers.
    This sad condition tends to lessen the value of certification in the real world. In my area, customers are beginning to consider A+, etc., as an advertising gimmick more than anything else. You can see the same effect in the ASE certification for automotive technicians. Many people wear these patches on their clothing, but they cannot fix my car! Any program that does not put you through a rigorous hands-on troubleshooting examination does not really prove your competence, and even this type cannot cover every possible problem. I guess it all boils down to: If you need A+ or others to meet qualifications for a certain job you are after, by all means get it. If not, I'd say save your money. On the other hand, MCSE and that type of program determines that you have sufficient knowledge of systems to ensure their proper operation. If you are thinking of staying and progressing in the field of computing, this is an area where you should focus your attention.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited November 14, 1999).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?

Most education, in any given field, is only a demonstration that one is capable of learning. It does not indicate mastery of the field. Often what one studies, particularly in technical fields, is out of date - curriclum materials cannot keep up. Wise employers and wise graduates both understand this. If you stop thinking and learning because you have some kind of certificate, whether it be an A+ certificate or a medical degree, you are in big trouble.

Gersen

Think of A+ Certification as the equivalent
    of a Learner's Permit for techs. It
    indicates you can learn the basic principles
    (on paper). Mechanical aptitude and an A+
    certification are a valuable combination, and
    in local businesses (Indianapolis) an A+ tech
    can make $12-15/hr. Don't look at the A+ as
    an end goal, but rather the first step. Look
    next toward vendor specific certifications in
    either hardware (Compaq, HP, IBM, etc) or
    software (MCSE, Novell). There's now also
    the Network+ offered by CompTIA, same as the
    A+. It's a basic networking curriculum that
    is a lot like the MCSE Network Essentials
    exam, but it's yet another cert to decorate
    a resumè.

Gersen

Lightbulb

Salutations,
    Just thought I would throw my two cents worth. A+ I belive is a good start. And just that a start. It is something that is good to have, but you don't need. I got a job as a tech without it (only had a novell certification), and in the few years I've been I've seen people spend thousands of dollars on A+ and other ceritications and not know anything. One guy thought he should have paid us to work here then to pay his school.
    One a positive note. It should help out in pay and get you a start if you don't have a start already.

Good luck
    Danrak

BTW, where do you look for company certifications? HP? IBM?
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

Saki

A+ is a good start. I am currently trying to get that cirtificate and going towards the CISCO Certification. They're both Free to me as of now until next year. I'll be getting my A+ Certificate this year and Cisco next year. It really depends on what field you are going for. If you are in the the field of Computer Repair, it would be a good idea to get the A+ certification.

In order to get Hp certs, you must first work at an Hp authorized reseller. Then you ght special access to their partner website where you can take the tests on line and order the traning books and cd's. I would assume that most other companies do the same thing, but I can only speak about Hp from experience.