Win2k SP-2 issues post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Win2k SP-2 issues post

Post Win2k SP-2 issues post

Please post any issues that you have with SP-2 for win2k.

Windows 2000 Server

fresh install, made to a DC, and installed sp-2 (no prior sp) and now DHCP will not service clients. authorization does put it in active directory, but netsh shows serviceing clients: false, all others are true.

random floppy drive "checks" after sp-2 installed (no matter the configuration)

Everything works fine as SP-1

hardware:

MSI 6321 (VIA 694D Pro)
    Dual PIII667
    512MB PC133/ECC
    Adaptec AAA-131U2 U2-SCSI RAID
    3x9.1GB Quantum SCA U2 drives, in raid5/64k
    IDE CD-Rom
    ATI Rage IIc AGP 2MB
    NetGear FA311 x2

No issues here. As a matter of fact it seems to be fixing an inexplicable random restarting problem we were having with a majority of our machines.
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

CobraTekMax

I've only installed it on my 2K Pro machines at home. No problems, increased ATA100 transfers, and a lot of little bugs fixed.

Haven't tried it on a server install yet...

compaq prosignia 740, has DHCP and is a DC, works fine as well, upgraded from sp-1 to sp-2, might be the SP-1 needs to be installed before sp-2, thing is - all the service packs and docs state that you do not need to have any service pack installed.

from my tests I had no problems..

network wide Update is schduled June 1st.

try it the other way around..

install the Server, Install SP-2, use DCPromo to convert...

see it this works..

It might just be me, but as of installing SP-2, programs on my system seem to crash a lot (never had a program error before now).

I'm just going to put up with it cos overall my system is running better, but it's still annoying.

Burn.

Darren Wilson

Exchange doesn't like SP2

first off i run w2k server on one of my computers. So i backed up my data and downloaded sp2. And guess what it took 2hours on a 112k line. And yup it crashed my computer!(The more i use windows the more i love linux mandrake 8.0) So i did a clean install of w2k server. Next i installed all my drivers,then installed sp2. Guess what more problems and headaches after 3hours of downloading!! So i reinstalled windows and this time i installed sp2 BEFORE i installed my drivers or programs or info. And it worked great!! No problem No headaches but it did take 6 hours on a dual channel isdn line? So what is up with the download time????????????

Originally posted by dumb blonde:
    first off i run w2k server on one of my computers. So i backed up my data and downloaded sp2. And guess what it took 2hours on a 112k line. And yup it crashed my computer!(The more i use windows the more i love linux mandrake 8.0) So i did a clean install of w2k server. Next i installed all my drivers,then installed sp2. Guess what more problems and headaches after 3hours of downloading!! So i reinstalled windows and this time i installed sp2 BEFORE i installed my drivers or programs or info. And it worked great!! No problem No headaches but it did take 6 hours on a dual channel isdn line? So what is up with the download time????????????

MS' servers probably not able to keep up with all the bandwidth all the d/l's are trying to pull.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I will try again...
    Not that I need DHCP for the other two computers.... (home setup)

funny thing DHCP and all the goods work fine at work...

What version of Exchange?

I'm running Exchange 2000 on a win2k adv server box, and have had no problems with sp2. The only thing I have noticed that's a little annoying is the random floppy drive check. Never noticed it before I put sp2 on.

I have it on my machine here, and a couple others....no complaints as of yet....
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

Greetings from The UK all.....
    I read this post & it reminded me of something I had read on a good UK site called www.theregister.co.uk.
    Anyway-here is the article,hope it helps.

Talking

Whoops-damn return key pressed itself before I had a chance to copy/paste !!!

Win2K SP2 and broken Exchange2K servers
    By: Thomas C Greene in Washington
    Posted: 21/05/2001 at 16:51 GMT

We've received anecdotal reports from Exchange2K users having no alternative but remove Win2K SP2 to make Exchange work again.

One source speaks of dealing with eleven such cases in ten hours, and another says Exchange can't even be installed on his machine with SP2 in place.

In the latter case the install was completely clean, from a re-format. First 2K server, then SP1, then SP2, then Exchange.

"Ran Exchange 2000 forestprep. Forestprep almost completed before receiving an error message that simply stated something to the effect of, 'Exchange 2000 Forestprep could not complete.' Tried running domainprep just to see what would happen -- of course it wouldn't run. Ran forestprep again and got the same results as the first time. After I removed SP2 I was able to successfully run forestprep, domainprep, and finally setup."

We understand there's also an issue where SP2 breaks DNS and Exchange2K behind MS Proxy Server 2.0, which could account for the differences in the two anecdotes above.

We've no idea how the systems mentioned were configured, though we'll post more information as it becomes available. In the mean time, we hope readers experiencing noteworthy stuff-ups with SP2 might rattle our cage with the details as we try to get to the bottom of it and untangle the knots. ®

+Here is the direct link... http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19105.html

I think I will hold off on the update to our w2ks/ex2k server...
    nothing like haivng our only email server fry itself - right?
    As for the floppy thing, don't know, same goes with my box at home when i go to auth the dhcp server.
    i don't get it...
    pissin me off though...
    maybe this is a sign that I should run 2k pro on my "server" box...

It seems that maybe it could be hardware <=> service pack interaction related.
    obviously Microsoft didn't want to make it official becuase it has so many damn bugs...