CD-ROM not right

Thread: CD-ROM not right

Post CD-ROM not right

I have a Dell laptop that, when a cd is inserted, will let you see it, but when you select a file or folder, it comes back "directory is invalid". I've tried this CD in another machine and it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

When you say tried the CD in another machine I'll assume you mean the disk and not the drive. If it's reading fine in one drive and not the other. I'de first try cleaning the drive. Probably won't help, but certainly can't hurt. Next I'de replace te drive as it's probably not tracking the laser. If I remember correctly, and anyone correct me if wrong. The laser heads home position is the same as the directory/TOC. So it could read the directory of the disk then not be able to track to the data being requested.

Another quick check is to notice the orientation of the CD when you put it in the drive. Close the drive and give it time to spin up. Open the drive again. If the disk hasn't moved, the drive is defective - a motor or the electronics driving it has gone south.

If it's spinning, the laser may be bad - clean the lens, and if that doesn't fix it, replace the drive.

Of course, it could be an interface problem, but that is rare.

Mark

Question, you said "this CD" is this happening on all CD's or just this one??
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Is the CD a CD-R, CD-RW or an original? Some drives have trouble reading burnt discs. try differing discs, some discs are poor quality and are hard to read.

you may have already thought of these things, I dont know.
    Life is only as complicated as YOU make it.

Every CD I've tried is an original. It sounds like it is spinning up. I'm thinking that it's something with the laser. I've cleaned it, so I guess it has just crapped out. Thanks for the help peeps.

try to disable UDMA if your drive uses it..