Standby Problem

Thread: Standby Problem

Angry Standby Problem

Using Win2K Pro, and an ATI all In Wonder 128.
    When I try to enter standby, I get this error message: "The device driver for the 'ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec' device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver."
    Hmmmmmmmm....
    I am using ATI's latest driver, so why is this happening? Anyone got a clue? Please help me out. Thank you.
    Oh Iz Dat Rite, Eh?!

Sorry dude. I have no clue. The only advice I could give would be to turn off standby mode altogether...it's way more trouble than it's worth.
    DON'T PANIC

I have seen this problem with the keyboard driver causing the exact same problem. In that case, there is a program that updates the keyboard driver and that software package is not designed for windows 2000. (I think the program at the time was adobe type manager) The solution was to uninstall the offending program. Look at the programs that you have installed that may have something to do with the video (3D or otherwise). Check to see if it's compatable. If not, look to the sw manufacturer for a win2k update or uninstall the program and test again.

Hope this helps, it's not listed in technet like the keyboard one was, but it may shed light on the matter.
    Veni, vidi, quiesco sum.
    "We came, We saw, We lazed around"

You can also try changing your power management settings in your BIOS. Somewhere on your power management screen of your BIOS there should be an option to choose which types of things will wake the computer (or in your case, prevent it from entering standby mode) You could try disabling anything that looks like it could be connected to your monitor (PCI if it's PCI video, IRQ of the AGP card etc etc.) Maybe no help, but it's worth a shot....
    Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're
    maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. - Eric Raymond

Ok, thanx again guys! I will try the things out you mention and I'll let you know if any work!
    Oh Iz Dat Rite, Eh?!