[RESOLVED] Installed new MB, lost CDROM

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installed new MB, lost CDROM

zaphod

Resolved [RESOLVED] Installed new MB, lost CDROM

Well, everything else works at least..

Here's the deal:

This weekend I pulled out my *old* MB which had a Cyrix P166+ (no MMX) on it and put in a FIC VA-503+ with an AMD K6-2 350 and fired it up. After fighting with the mouse for a while and finally getting that to work, I realized I had another problem. No CDROM.

The BIOS locates it fine. At least, it says it found the CDROM at boot time when it locates the other HDs. However, when I get to windows 95 it doesn't show up in the Explorer. The access light on the CDROM stays on for a very long time (say 10 minutes) and then goes off. The only way I've been able to get it to remotely work is to boot up to command prompt mode with the dos driver in config.sys, manually load mscdex, and then fire up windows. In that case I get some slow operation. (The drive shows up in explorer and can read directories sometimes, but not much else.)

Any ideas?

The VIA uses a diffent bus master then your old mobo. Go in safe mode and remove the hdd controller and do a search of the registry for noide and change to 00 if present. Restart in normal mode with cdrom dos drivers still present and load the drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard.

For the most up to date drivers get the 4 in 1 update from Via which includes

IDE Busmaster (2.1.41)
    VIA AGP 3.52
    IRQ Routing Driver (1.3a)
    VIA Registry (ACPI).

You can download it from the link below.
    http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm