[RESOLVED] Delayed Write Failed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Delayed Write Failed

willys

Resolved [RESOLVED] Delayed Write Failed

Hello all. I have not seen this before so I am asking the lot of you. Anytime I try to transfer a file from another computer to mine, a Delayed Write Failed error pops up and keeps on pooping up for a while. It is annoying as Heck. Anybody with any ideas? Thanks in advance

StevePorter

Lightbulb

You may have a problem with one of your drives. Some guidance is provided in http://support.microsoft.com/support...Q159/8/65.ASP. You'll need to load up Windows Event Viewer (it's under Administrative Tools in Control Panel) and see if any logged events match the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article. Maybe this helps...maybe not...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

willys

Unhappy

That link did not work but I found out that it is an event 51. I am pretty sure it isn't the hard drive cause I took it out and it worked fine on another system. I've looked on the M$ kknowledge base but I can't make heads or tails of it. Any assistance? Thanks.

condor

Question

how about some info on your system ?

Hardware specs, manufecturers and models including all detail you think might be helpful...

We can't help without knowing what we're dealing with now can we ?

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

willys

Cool

Cel500, SoundBlaster 64, nic 10/100(generic), 288mb mem, Ati Expert 98 8m, Samsung 4.3gb hd(master,primary) cdrom(slave,primary) samsung 40gb hd(secondary)-(This HD has the prob.)I have used all possible configs. This is all on a (Don't laugh, its a work station and has been running great since its been built)MB 726 PCChips. Updated Bios.

condor

that means you have an ALi 1621 chipset right ?

try to go to Ali web site and download the latest drivers for you chipset..

http://www.ali.com.tw

I tried to get you the accurate link but the site is down for the moment.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

willys

Exclamation

Well, I updated to the 2000 IDE drivers and I am still having the same prob. Thanks for the suggestion. Any other advice? It is greatly appreciated.

willys

Question

This delayed write error happens when I transfer a file from my local hard drive as well as a networked one.

condor

Lightbulb

if your NIC is based on "Realtek" chip try using it only in Half-Duplex mode.

------------------

i just installed a usb 320gb MAXTOR external drive and had the error messages coming up all the time (really annoying!).

one suggestion i found on the internet was to set the pagefile for the drive, in my case T:\, which i set rather large (but it was suggested 200-400mb).

the messages have stopped for now, but i have yet to try doing my file copying again.
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

external... via usb 1.1 or 2? Cable is rated for 2?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    external... via usb 1.1 or 2? Cable is rated for 2?
    its the pcworld offer, 320gb for £70, external usb. my system is still 1.1, but all hardware is out-of-the-box. i'm running win2000 with all latest updates etc.

anyway , further to my previous post the system doesn't boot now with the maxtor plugged in - hangs at the bios post screen. if i unplug it and then boot, then re-connect its fine. however, yesterday had a major blue screen with kernal stack inpage error...possibly because after swapping the pagefile size i did not reboot. i did another set of file transfers and got to 75% of copying before the blue screen.

i was thinking of whipping the 320gb hdd out of the external case and shoving it directly into the pc; at least i could format and partition it and it would work without crashing my computer!

I would have thought a pagefile would be the last thing that would be wanted on a USB1.1 removable drive.

As write caching seems to be enabled for at least one of the drives (although it shouldn't be on the removable), have you tried it without, as this should eliminate delayed writes?

A few possible causes here too:

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/ti...041334,00.html

i looked at the 8, it's none of those (i think!)

i tried the device on an almost identical system but running xp pro sp2 and it worked fine. i copied files across the network from the w2k pc, and everything seems ok... until a rebooted the xp pc following updates. the pc hangs at the bios screen so had a brief look in the bios for any obvious things; unplugged it and rebooted ok...

so, no resolution yet, i would be interested in knowing how easy it is to take the drive out and install it as a normal drive...

It shouldn't be difficult to remove the drive from the enclosure and temporarily connect it up to IDE/SATA according to the drive interface. That would at least reveal if the drive itself is having any issues.

Does the enclosure's specification include USB1.1 backwards compatability? Even though USB itself is backward compatable, some devices just need USB2 to work properly.