[RESOLVED] Win 2K and Video Cards
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 2K and Video Cards

Curt

Question Win 2K and Video Cards

I have been running Win 2K for well over a year. In that year I have also been running budget video cards, since I don't play any games beyond Trophy Bass 2 or the pinball game that comes with Win 2K. I did try a gaming card at one point but was not at all happy with the way it worked. Nothing about the display was crisp and clear.

I am considering upgrading to a higher level video card. I am currently running a 8 MB budget Diamond card. It handles 1280 x 1024 very well at the lowest refresh rates, but loses its sharp definition when trying to run at higher refresh rates.

I am running a KDS 19 inch monitor. As mentioned above, I do little or no gaming, but I do do quite a bit if graphics work in Photoshop and some 3D graphics programs, such as Bryce and Cool 3D.

With the card I have now I am limited to 24 bit true color. When I attempt to run resolutions above 1280 x 1024, it drops down to 256 colors.

So.. after this big schpiel (sp?), what I would like to know is this. What do you recommend as a decent, affordable video card for use with Win 2K, that is not necessarily geared just toward 3D gaming but will give me crisp displays at high refresh rates and will allow me to retain at least 24 bit (preferably 32 bit) true color even at the highest resolutions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just FYI:

I am running a AMD K6 II 500
    Asus P5A-B Motherboard
    128 Megs of PC 100 SD Ram

Thanks in advance

Mustang

Have a similar system here
    amd k6-2 500
    asus p5a
    320mb pc100
    ati all in wonder pro
    works like a dream

------------------
    "May the force be with you ." Obi-Wan Kenobi

condor

I've never had problems with display not being clear, but that's casue I've always used High quality monitors (not KDS !)and name brand display adapter.

anyway if you're not a 3D freak you can get a Geforce 256 with 32MB of SDRAM for less than a $100 ! (elsa Erazor X)
    it's still very fast at 3D games, very stable, high qualiity pic too.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

Curt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by condor:
    I've never had problems with display not being clear, but that's casue I've always used High quality monitors (not KDS !)and name brand display adapter.

</font>
    So... in light of your comments, I am assuming that you have had bad experiences with KDS monitors? I have had mine for about 2 years with no trouble at all. As for the Video Card, it is brand name, just not expensive.

What do you consider to be a "good" brand name monitor?

Thanks...

StevePorter

Talking

I really like the Hercules video cards. In days of old, Hercules was the leader. They now show themselves to be on the cutting edge again.

I have a Hitachi SuperScan 753 19" monitor that is rock solid. I run 1600 x 1200 @ 75 Hz and wouldn't trade this baby for anything. It's a sweet monitor.

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

PBase001

I've seen games played on it, but for work and sharpness, the Matrox cards are one of the best. Pricing I'll leave up to you as to which card you want within your price range (check www.matrox.com). But like someone said, the card is only as good as your monitor. You could get the best vid card and still have a crappy image due to a less than spectacular mointor.

IT Len

Don't game much, but am into very high-end digital imaging. Video cards...there's a lot of good ones out there, and you'll only need to know how much you want to spend.

As far as monitors go, I use dual 19" Sony Trinitrons, and have never had a problem. Display is as crisp as I could want. Not easy to find a good deal on them, though.

Gotta admit too, we were over at a friend's house, he uses Viewsonic, and it was very impressive.

the highest quality video card is the now extinct 3dfx voodoo 3 series.
    I havent seen a video card that can have a higher quality display of colors.
    granted it isnt the best at games, but if it was just a desktop apps color quality match, i would take a voodoo 3 over anything else, hands down.

Darren Wilson

Haven't you seen any of the Matrox cards then Kannibul??? Simply the best for all 2D work and nothing compares to the fill rate within Windows applications themselves. I found all the VooDoo cards to be pathetic actually in anything other than Glide based applications.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

the last time i got a chance to check out a matrox was about 3 years ago, back when i was still paranoid...
    the drivers wouldnt work...
    **can we change the subject now?**

[This message has been edited by kannibul (edited February 15, 2001).]

Antimatter

I'm using a 32mb creative TNT2. It has better refresh rates than my 19" monitor can handle and supports hi colours right up the range. Certainly adequate performance for most games at lower resolutions. From what I've seen the TNT2 seems to be the best budget option.

condor

Darren is 100% right the best 2D windows Card is Matrox no one can compare to their Image quality, fill rate, stability ( although I wouldn't go with the G400 or 450 for that) but when it comes to 3D Matrox is no match for Nvidia.

3Dfx cards are very nice but I'm sorry to say they are very avrage.

not fast as nvidia for 3d
    and picture quality is mediocre at best.

I still would take the UltraTNT2 as the best all rounder.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

I have replaced my G400 with the ATI RADEON VIVO 64MB AGP DDR

it was a good trade, I didn't want to lose the 2D and color that Matrox has had, the RADEON does a very good job.

Superb 2D/3D fast, clean, DVD and gaming if its ur thing.

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:............Techno®
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

A good bet would be a GeForce2MX based video card, or mabye an ATI Radeon VIVO or Rage128 VIVO if you want video in/out and don't wanna pay extra. GeForce2GTS cards are nice too, but you can get GeForce2MX cards in an "All-in-wonder" configuration...meaning with on-board TV tuner, video-in, and TV-out.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

Jvaguy

I have a creative tnt2 .. and a KDS visual Sensation and im at 1024 x 768 16bit and refresh at 100 .. now i spent good money on this kds this was the one that was comparable to a sony .. and it does work .. im not a gamer but the enhancements are nice

------------------
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7 all good children go to heaven