Well I will start out with machine config:
    Gigabyte GA-5AA m/b
    K6II-500
    256M pc-100
    WD 20gb ATA66
    SB Live! Value
    TNT2 Vanta 16M Vid
    CD and CD-RW

Have tried on several occassions to install Win2k, both as upgrade and as clean install. Each time it tells me that I have a compatability problem with my m/b and video. It does not give me any indication as to what the problem is. I would appreciate any insight on solving this problem.

Mike

------------------
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Antimatter

Um...TNT chipset doesn't like ALI...simple isn't it.

StevePorter

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Antimatter:
    Um...TNT chipset doesn't like ALI...simple isn't it. </font>
    Antimatter's correct...TNT/TNT2 video cards and ALi chipsets do not go well together. I think, however, a patch is available that fixes the problem. Be sure you flash your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version, and download and install the latest version of all motherboard drivers...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

byteme_1997

I neglegted to say that under all flavours of win 9x hane had no problems. Am using the latest motherboard drivers, infact using the latest drives for all components. Thanks again.

Mike

------------------

chekc the post about ACPI - the GA5AA will attempt to load with ACPI enabled - but it always f&cked up when i had it on.

press one of the F keys when it prompts you while setup is just starting (press F6 to install 3rd party driver..)
    it will then prompt you with a list of computer types, select standard PC

byteme_1997

sorry Kannibul you kinda lost me on that one press the F key during which setup, I didn/t follow .

Mike

------------------

when you are setting up windows 2000, from the CD (dont know about the bootdisks) it starts, goes to a blue screen, and at the bottom it says press F6 to install third party driver
    press some other F key (dont kow which one) but i think it is F4, F5, F7, or F8.
    it will then come up with a dialog box, asking which kind of pc you have, choose standard PC.
    (also note Darren wilsons method if windows 2000 is already installed - acpi topic)