Problems loading network card driver in win2k

Thread: Problems loading network card driver in win2k

Unhappy Problems loading network card driver in win2k

Hey,

I just bought a new network card, (has a realtek RTL 8139/something chip in it).

After physically installing the card, I started up win2k which detected the card and found a driver but wouldnt install it... I got this message...
    "An error occured during the installation of this device ---- The data is invalid"

The same thing happened with my soundcard previously when I tried to update the driver. No other drivers ive tried to run with this have seemed to work.. all give me the same error..

Im running service pack 2, does anyone have any idea why it keeps doing this to me???

I did manage to solve the soundcard driver problem.. but that required reformatting.. something im not willing to do everytime i want to install a new card!!

[quote]Originally posted by X2N:
    <strong>Hey,

I just bought a new network card, (has a realtek RTL 8139/something chip in it).

After physically installing the card, I started up win2k which detected the card and found a driver but wouldnt install it... I got this message...
    "An error occured during the installation of this device ---- The data is invalid"

The same thing happened with my soundcard previously when I tried to update the driver. No other drivers ive tried to run with this have seemed to work.. all give me the same error..

Im running service pack 2, does anyone have any idea why it keeps doing this to me???

I did manage to solve the soundcard driver problem.. but that required reformatting.. something im not willing to do everytime i want to install a new card!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

i would suspect that something is corrupting your data, wether bad ram, bad HDD or bad OS media.. if you try to update other drivers, do you get a similar error?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

well i did get the same error when i tried to update the sound card... i have tried anything else just yet... but maybe i should do.. then again i dont know what im gonna do if my vid card decides not to work after that.. formatting is a pain

could it be anythign to do with things conflicting.. like wanting the same interrupt
    because i could swear like 3 things are using irq 11

[quote]Originally posted by X2N:
    <strong>well i did get the same error when i tried to update the sound card... i have tried anything else just yet... but maybe i should do.. then again i dont know what im gonna do if my vid card decides not to work after that.. formatting is a pain

could it be anythign to do with things conflicting.. like wanting the same interrupt
    because i could swear like 3 things are using irq 11</strong><hr></blockquote>

an IRQ error is different, besdies, you more than likely have PCI steering installed, and if that's the shared IRQ, then no worries. What i suspect is that you have something corrupting your installation. Other than that, I have no idea..
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

k.. thanks very much for the help...

ill try to get hold of a different win2k cd... maybe my cd is stuffed...

Just a thought b4 you do anything serious!

Many cards need a pre-install software run b4 you physically attach the card, even in a pnp environment this can often be required.

Check your set-up instructions that came with the hardware - there must be some software with it

Plus, did you "uninstall" (software through the O/S, Computer Management, Device Manager) your previous drivers and card? Many people don't do this, but it is extremely good practice to software uninstall b4 physical uninstall.

Good luck!