[RESOLVED] HP CD-RW

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP CD-RW

buzzed

Red face HP CD-RW

Why, it shouldn't happen! When you buy a new CD writer then install it properly it should work!
    Tell that to HP's "MyCD"... it thinks my new high speed drive is not high speed.
    This means I cannot write to the supplied CD, However Direct CD makes a data CD without any problems.
    Ive got a VIA M/board, with UDMA Buss mastering soft. I cannot turn it off in system props, last time I tried to install via4in1 I had to reinstall the lot! Help! Please. Cars, computers, bank overdrafts, moicrosoft; some of the many nessicary evils

Claudio216

hmmm... Are you trying to say that your HP CD-WR is not going at the speed it should go?

You could go to My Computer and right click on the icon of your CD-WR and check the default Read and Write speeds. If its not at the max put them. I guess this should work.

Darren Wilson

Claudio's suggestion must be something that HP put into their own drivers, as no CDRW I have ever installed under any OS has an option to set speeds unless within the actual CD burning software..

buzzed

Red face

Actually no, what happens is I get a false software error message saying my drive doesn't support high speed discs, tried lowering the write speed in the writing app, tried lowering the speed in drive props (right click on drive, props) tried removing the cdrom disc cache/read ahead.
    I'm thinking it could be that the ide controlers are screwing it up?
    VIA Pro133 chipset, using VIA bus mastering controlers (UDMA).
    Tried to update via4in1, it installed in 2secs, said "install complete" but didn't let me select drivers? No change.
    I've would have tried setdma utill- If I could find it!
    UDMA is disabled in BIOS, no check for it in sys props.....
    Any ideas?

via apollo pro 133 - that's the name, yes?
    i had hp in use with this board. and had this problem too but couldn't solve it, so changed to teac.
    the prob. sill appears with adaptect soft.
    changed to nero and i'm cool now. probably i should do that before with hp.
    have no probation more...

and i can send you this dma util via e-mail if you want.

buzzed

Talking

Thanks Dima, your right.
    Actually it was incompatability with the UDMA drivers in the via4in1.
    I've left via drivers in, cause they seem to be the only ones that work properly, cause less hang-ups and they are quite unresponsive to being removed, (windows always reinstalls them on reboot! :mad
    Thanks to the person who emailed me the setdma util, removing dma has stopped the error message, so far I've made one coaster and three CD's (@4x).

N.B. I was amazed at the response I recieved from HP's support, good on you HP!