[RESOLVED] INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Boot from win2k CD rom , and go with upgrade . , tahn it will work.

Chipset , is not the problem , but enumeration of the BIOS( Award - Aword , aword-AMI , and so on)

------------------
    Mr. B
    Mr. B

Darren Wilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="1">Originally posted by Borut_P:
    Boot from win2k CD rom , and go with upgrade . , tahn it will work.

Chipset , is not the problem , but enumeration of the BIOS( Award - Aword , aword-AMI , and so on)

</font>
    I wish it was that easy.

Didn't work for me when I changed my board. And both using Award v6 bios

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rogerleite:
    Hi,
    My system was running fine in a "all-in-one" mainboard type. Recently i have changed this board by an Asus P3V133.
    But when the system start, the blue screen
    appear whith the following message:
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.
    And the system remain halted.
    I beleive i need to install any driver, but how i cant do it if the system is stoped ?
    And where i can found this driver ?
    I was in the ASUS site but i can't found the win2000 driver ! No explanation i found too !

Can somebody help me ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rogério Leite -
    São Paulo - Brazil

</font>
    The problem sounds more like a BIOS error than a windows 2k error. You stated that you have seagate drive overlay software running? Two options: using the seagate overlay disk try uninstalling the drive overlay - BEWARE this may result in a format - pay attention to all the information on the screen in the overlay software. The second option is to manually set the drive parameters to the same as the old board was set - that should trick the overlay software in thinking everything is ok and allowing you to boot.

If I misunderstood and this is a Win2k message, forgive me and continue.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

rogerleite

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    The problem sounds more like a BIOS error than a windows 2k error. You stated that you have seagate drive overlay software running? Two options: using the seagate overlay disk try uninstalling the drive overlay - BEWARE this may result in a format - pay attention to all the information on the screen in the overlay software. The second option is to manually set the drive parameters to the same as the old board was set - that should trick the overlay software in thinking everything is ok and allowing you to boot.

If I misunderstood and this is a Win2k message, forgive me and continue.

</font>
    Hi Friend !
    Thanks by tips...
    The message is a windows 2000 message, but i'll try to remove drive overlay. Maybe work ! If not, maybe i'll format it [sniff...]

This job i will do tomorrow !

Thanks again,
    Rogério

Oc-768

I would try booting off the Windows 2000 CD and choosing to repair. Windows 2000 can really be a bitch some times. This may shed some insight as well. This comes from Microsoft the full KB article can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/support...CH&SPR=WIN2000

"Note that Windows 2000 does not have the ability to rebalance resources as does Microsoft Windows 98. Once PCI resources are set, they generally cannot be changed. If you change to an invalid IRQ setting or I/O range for the bus that a device is on, Windows 2000 cannot rebalance the resource it assigned to that bus to compensate. Windows 2000 does not have this ability because of the more complex hardware schemas it is designed to support. Windows 98 does not have to support IOAPICs, multiple root PCI buses, multiple-processor systems, and so on. Rebalancing becomes risky when you are dealing with these hardware schemas, and will not be implemented in Windows 2000 except for very specific scenarios. However, PCI devices are required to be able to share IRQs. The ability to share IRQs should not prevent any hardware from working in general."

------------------
    Nick Comer
    ASCS, i-net+, Net+, A+
    [email protected]

LegoZ 81

I am sure this has been posted already....
    This is the same problem that NT4 has to fix this put the old mobo and proc in and setup the drives the same.
    install the NEW IDE driver.(ie the chipset)
    and disable the old.
    (this is easier with nt4)
    (i haven't tried this i reformat with a new mobo...) then power down and move everything back over IF THE new driver loads correctly it should be able to find the boot device....

rogerleite

Hi friends... The problem was solved !

I start the system with instalation disks and choose "New install" !
    Before i was try the option "Repair" but the problem remains the same.

This message i'm sending by my new system w/ my new motherboard!

Thanks to all friends that help me !!!

Rogerio Leite

Exclamation

Sorry , that you don`t listen .
    It is Microsoft ,or how would i put in English , it is Win2k problem.

Let we hope , that the problem ,will be fixed by SPx.Until than , don`t set up a domain controller with win2k server. I don`t sey , that i didn`t warn you.

And please , i don`t care if you have a MCP , MCSE , A+ ,ASE , ACT , Cisco , ...
    If you don`t have any field experience , you don`t rate that high exept in pay cheque. These is for you all , who like to finish ther post with that final touch.

I have MCSE , CCNA , ASE , *****, soon i will be MCSE 2k......

------------------
    Mr. B
    Mr. B

Darren Wilson

Borut

I don't know how to take your post?

Is it a flame or not?

I would say that 99% of the guys & gals that use this forum regardless of certification all have field experience.

If Microsoft acknoweldge that a reinstall or fresh format is needed to use Win2K when you change boards using a different chipset due to the PCI enumeration then what can we do about it???? Your BIOS theory makes sense but it just doesn't work in 99% of the cases, believe me I have been there and done that more times than I care to remember. You also get similar problem when you update some versions of the VIA service packs, this is down to Win2k trying to load the old drivers as well as the newer ones, which it is always wise to uninstall any old IDE drivers before updating them. Win2k's kernel is totally different to Win9x/ME, as you probably already know, and the Plug and Play side of things works in a different way to previous types. Also don't forget that Win9x is based mainly around the VXD driver structure and Win2k is mainly based on the WDM structure. This plays a big difference as well. I know what your response is going to be and that I am talking out of my arse, but I am speaking FACTS not clutching at straws here.

I have been doing this long enough to know what I am talking about.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

Agree with Darren completely. I have a couple of times gotten around this specific error by removing any board-specific drivers and installing the drivers for the new motherboard BEFORE swapping the motherboards.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Yes . If you install a new driver for motherboard,it will reset enumeration hive in registery. Sometimes it workes.
    The same think happen ,if you upgrade chipset info in Win9x , when you reset the system , system detects new hardware all over again.You can achive the same resoult if you delete BIOS in controlpannet\system . When you reset the system , it will detect everything again.
    These does not happen in Win2k , it just upgrad drivers , and it does not reset enumeration. So i still think it`s hall problem , or how we say Microsoft problem.

When i finished last post with MCSE , ASE ,... I did that , becouse i don`t like it. I had some bad experiences with a new stuff in my company , who where hired souly on the fact of certification.

------------------
    Mr. B
    Mr. B

HIESLanMan

There's a kb on moving a w2k installation to new hardware - Q249694. But their process requires similar hardware, and looks like no fun at all. Has anyone tried using sysprep before moving a drive to a new mb? I think that should remove all the relevant drivers, but I haven't actually done this. If anyone has I'd love to know how it worked - I'm upgrading a bunch of servers soon and I'll have this exact problem.

rogerleite

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HIESLanMan:
    There's a kb on moving a w2k installation to new hardware - Q249694. But their process requires similar hardware, and looks like no fun at all. Has anyone tried using sysprep before moving a drive to a new mb? I think that should remove all the relevant drivers, but I haven't actually done this. If anyone has I'd love to know how it worked - I'm upgrading a bunch of servers soon and I'll have this exact problem.</font>

Hi friends,

I sucessfully swap the motheboard after several and several wrong trials.
    I did not have to format, just i boot with instalation disks and choose "New install".
    All files remained intact but i was need to reinstall some aplications.

Rogerleite

Try with sysprep and -pnp switch.These will reditected all pnp devices, but i didn't test it yet.
    Might work ?

------------------
    Mr. B
    Mr. B

WASAW

I'VE RUN INTO THAT PROBLEM BEFORE LOTS OF TIMES WE USE GHOST TO THROW PREINSTALLED IMAGES ONTO MACHINES SOMETIMES AND IF THE MOTHERBOARD CHANGES I ALWAYS GET THE INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE CAUSE ITS LOOKING TO BOOT OF AN IDE CONTROLLER THATS NOT THERE. DARREN KNOWS HIS STUFF IT SOUNDS LIKE.

------------------
    THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN AND THINGS UNKNOWN AND IN BETWEEN ARE THE DOORS!