Back to School on Boot Disks

Thread: Back to School on Boot Disks

Post Back to School on Boot Disks

I am getting an error message telling me that the ntoskrnl.exe file is missing, which should mean that the boot.ini file is missing. I have used my NT 4.0 CD to create the three floppies by using the command E:\winnt /ox. I have read that these floppies must be formatted on a computer running NT so the boot sector on the disk can find and run Ntldr in order to work. I work third shift with only 2 other people so I would like to make sure I carry everything I need to solve the problem. As I said, I created these 3 floppies from the CD on a computer running Windows 98. Doesn’t seem to me as that would matter since they were created form the CD.

What do I need to carry other than these three floppies and the CD?
    Will these floppies work?
    I do NOT have an ERD.

Thanks for Your Time,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by farrar (edited February 27, 2001).]
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

sl250

Did you format the disks first on NT machine need to do that also you dont need disks if bios supports it you can boot directly from the WINNT Cdrom have you changed anything else lately hard disk configs , have you edited boot.ini ? Remember to make that RDISK!!!!

If all else fails do repair install and inspect boot files or if disk isnt ntfs boot to a dos disk and have a look at boot files to make sure nothings changed/deleted/renamed

boot from the cd and do a repair, you will have to re-install your service packs.

Thanks for the help.
    Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”