Dual boot for W2k Pro and Win98

Thread: Dual boot for W2k Pro and Win98

Exclamation Dual boot for W2k Pro and Win98

I am trying to dual boot with w2k and win98.. I am trying ot find the best way, for I have plenty of hardrive space. Should I set C drive as boot drive and both operating systems on different partitions (ie. D, E) My question is how big do I set the C partition for the boot drive and how to set up? Any suggestions??

On your hard drive create your Drive C partition, FAT32, this will be where you install WIn98 to. Make it whatever size you need. Once Win98 is installed, install 2k, format the second partition using the 2k install. That's the simpliest way. It will also give you the menu on bootup to choose which OS to boot into.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

sorry for jumping someone else's question but is it possible to install '98 AFTER W2K pro has been installed?

Thumbs down

Everything I've seen says you can't get a computer to offer the dual boot menu unless W2K is the last operating system installed. To do so otherwise probably will require a program such as PowerQuest's <a href="http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/" target="_blank">Partition Magic</a>...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Angry

Thanks for the good advise... I did get the dual boot to work easily but my issue is possibly a hard drive issue. It could be a thousand other things too, but I get internal errors and blue screens more than should. The comments say check your hard drive and wonder how to do a low level format on a WD 13Gig. I have EZ drive by WD but cant see that option.

I am not 100% sure but I think the EZ drive software is the problem. I have used dual booting with the method stated above and have never had a problem. I believe the issue is when you install 2K it changes the boot sector set up by the first operating system and transfers control to NTLDR thus changing how the EZ drive software operates. On the machines that I have worked on with EZ drive there have always been issues that have come up when you are doing an upgrade or copying data from one drive to another. If you can dump EZ drive I think you will be a lot better off.
    WD has had low level format utilities on their website in the past for some of their drives so it might be worth a look.
    I hope this helps, Good Luck!

Lightbulb

If I remember correctly, you've got to load the WD EZ drive software to remove itself from the partition information. When you do, of course, that partition will be toast
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Talking

I have now had the dual boot working beter now. I decided to do a low-level format with the WD diagnostics software. Then reinstalled Win 98 and then 2000. They are working well so far. Thanks all...