ntvdm uses 100% cpu time

Thread: ntvdm uses 100% cpu time

Post ntvdm uses 100% cpu time

Some of the dos apps we use, when ran on windows 2000 (server/pro/terminal services) uses up 100% per CPU per thread.
    anyone know how to limit the amount of CPU time that a process can utilize?
    I have found a way that will set it to idle (0% use) after a specified amount of time, but if a user (or 25 users) are active in the app, it setis it back to 100% per processor per thread. so if 2 users are on a terminal server, each with a dos app running, it will use 100% of the servers CPU time, leaving everyone else running like a 386.
    I am about 18 hours from calling Microsoft on this one. I am sure someone is going to post a reply like - mine works fine... please don't - if that is the depth of your investigation, don't post here. I need an answer/reg hack (most likely) that will do the job, and keep it from going over 5%/thread.

thanks

Well, you could try running Task Manager when your DOS app is loaded and running, and go Processes. Right click on you application and re-set the priority to a lowlaer one.

May help - good luck!

that only partially works.
    I need something that will work on a terminal server with around 25-30 people on it, each running differnet dos apps that use NTVDM, and use 100% of the cpu time.
    If I could restrict the amount to under 5%, that would probably work perfectly.

Contacted MS, they told me that most 16bit app support was stripped from windows 2000, including the problem I have.
    Thier solution was to use a 3rd party product called Tame, that will look for cpu cycles that could be dropped rather than used.
    basicly, it will prevent an app from hogging the system during non-used times.
    My bad app fix seems to work similar to this, but Tame works much more in depth, so far.
    If I can figure out a way to use bad app better, I would be able to do this for free, rather than have to register the shareware.