[RESOLVED] Win needs to reinstall, No DOS (SCSI) CD

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win needs to reinstall, No DOS (SCSI) CD

ptshark

Post Win needs to reinstall, No DOS (SCSI) CD

Unfortunately the problem is not as simple as it sounds. We were running Windows 95 and a critical Windows file got uninstalled. Windows now says to reinstall Windows but we have no DOS CD. The Computer is an old 486 DX 33 system. There are 2 IDE hard drives installed. They are both connected to a single 40 pin plug on the disk controller card. The 3.5” floppy is also connected to the same card. There are no other connections on this card. This is where it gets complicated. The CD (An NEC CDR 210) I am told by NEC is a SCSI unit. NEC sent me to the Original PC manufacturer for the CD drivers. They E-mailed me a file supposedly containing the drivers for the CD. The drive itself is connected to a Media Vision Pro Audio 650-0060-53C using a 50 pin ribbon cable. I downloaded drivers from WinDrivers.com Media Vision (the closest I could come was for the Pro audio Studio 16 650-0060-02). I have read the “CDROM Host adapter issues” section on WinDrivers.com installation help.
    Before I knew this was a SCSI drive I tried all the standard lines in config.sys and Autoexec.bat for an IDE CD. I get a message “no CD ROM detected”. Then I tried for a SCSI unit. When I try the SCSI setup I get the message “ No Valid Adaptec Host Adapter ” and “No SCSI Host Adapter Detected”.
    The Sound card driver, Pastudio\mvsound.sys…. in config.sys seems to install OK but that does nothing for the CD portion of the card. The CD did run just fine under Windows 95 so I know it works. There was no Autoexec.bat in the original computer setup and Config.sys was there but empty. Neither a Windows 95 nor 98 startup disk can get DOS to find the CD.
    I admit to being totally lost when it comes to SCSI. The computer is 8 years old. It is not our primary machine but there are data and programs on it we need and must have Windows to get at it.
    What can I do to get DOS to recognize the CD?
    Pete...

I don't know if you read this on the Media Vision site, and I don't know if you have this option when you install your driver.

I see that I can choose from several different Basic Configurations. Which one should I choose?

For the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and Pro Audio Studio family of cards there are three Basic Configurations. The first is:
    Basic Configuration 0;
    This configuration sets up only the PAS 16 native mode driver, but has no Sound Blaster emulation nor does it have SCSI CD host adapter support.

Basic Configuration 1
    Adds the SCSI CD host adapter.

Basic Configuration 2
    Adds the Sound Blaster emulation, as well as the SCSI CD host adapter.

For the Premium 3D, Deluxe, and Prosonic 16 family of cards there are two Basic Configurations.

Basic Configuration 0
    Sets up the native mode driver for the sound card.

Basic Configuration 1
    Adds the settings for MPU401 emulation.

An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Also you might want to downlaod the Pro/Premium 3D SCSI Real Mode drivers.
    It seems most of the drivers are for Win95, but the real mode drivers are for DOS.

ptshark

Thanks for the quick response.
    I reset the J2 jumper to ID 1. From ID 0. I did not realize basic config was the same as board ID.I don't really need the sound blaster support.
    I then downloaded the Pro Prem 3d SCSI drivers, installed them and ran the install program.
    I think we may be getting somewhere but here are the messages I get:
    Config.sys tries to load device= mini406a.sys /IO=230 and I get “MiniCAM: Cannot load, no SDMS BIOS found.”
    Next Config.sys loads device=CDROM.SYS /D:MVCD001 and I get “unable to load CAMcore”
    When Autoexec.bat tries to load mscdex it cannot find MVCD001.

I no longer get the “no host adapter” or “no valid cdrom device found” so maybe this is a good sign?

What is this minicam and SMDS BIOS?
    Any ideas what to try next?

Pete…

[This message has been edited by ptshark (edited September 07, 1999).]

The config.sys line you have, has no reference to where the cdrom.sys file is at.
    See if you can locate that file and copy it to your c: drive.
    After that, edit your config.sys so the line would read:
    DEVICE=C:\CDROM.SYS /D:MVCD001

ptshark

Sorry about that. I left the path out of the post but it is actually in the file itself. I have included the entire text of both config and autoexec

CONFIG.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    rem added ( 9/05/99)
    device=c:\pastudio\mvsound.sys d:5 q:7 s:1,220,1,5 m:0 j:1
    device=C:\MEDVSN\pa3d.sys a220 d1 i7 h7 m320 q2
    device=C:\MEDVSN\mini406a.sys /IO=230
    device=C:\MEDVSN\cdrom.sys /D:MVCD001

AUTOEXEC.BAT
    set blaster=A220 I7 D1 H7 T4 P320
    C:\MEDVSN\mscdex /D:MVCD001 /M:10 /V
    C:\MEDVSN\vbeai.com
    rem added ( 9/05/99)
    ;c:\pastudio
    ;C:\MEDVSN

Thanks again Pete…

I was just on the NEC Technology site and they have files for download for multimedia kits, which has the Media Vision sound cards. http://www.nectech.com/css/index.htm
    check out the ones that start with PAS

[This message has been edited by Eagle PC Diagnostech (edited September 07, 1999).]